Pushback - Chapter Twenty Eight

The ride home from work took a little longer than normal. Elia's mother had to take an alternate route through the industrial district due to protests in the streets. Neither of them had gotten close enough to actually see what they were about, but they knew deep down what they were, and that kept them far away. At least in the industrial district Hybrids were more welcome, even if they were all low-level labourers, nobody would harass them. Once they got back into their own neighbourhood Arva relaxed a bit, feeling safe and sound in the Lows. In light of recent events, she stopped calling them the slums. For all the lack of glamour, the community of rusty dome houses and the Hybrids who lived in them didn't deserve to be looked down on. Not when the city was so much more rotten underneath the polished skin. After Arva exited the car she waved Elia's mother goodnight and walked towards her house, only to hear another vehicle pull up behind her. She turned to see the familiar armoured car of Eclipse, and was relieved to see Marcus step out. He looked just as tidy and proper as ever in his straight, spotless uniform, which made Arva feel unkempt in her typical dress and cardigan she often wore to work. She turned to greet him with a smile, regretful but relieved to be able to give him an answer in person.

"Mr. Wilh-" she caught herself, "Marcus, sorry. I'm glad you stopped by, actually, I've made up my mind," she clasped her hands together in front of her waist, trying not to sound disrespectful, "I can't join the military. I'm sorry, but I have to do what's best for my family-"

"While I'm sorry to hear that," Marcus said, "I'm afraid the decision may have been made for us. I'm actually here because I desperately need your help."

"I don't understand," Arva said.

"I'd rather not discuss this openly, and time is short," he motioned towards the car, "please come with me. You're not under arrest, nor is this non-negotiable, I'm simply asking you. As a friend." Arva felt her cheeks warm. She liked the idea that they were friends, but still didn't know what he was talking about.

"Can I just tell my Gramma I'll be-?" She began.

"There's no time," Marcus cut her off as he insisted, "please, I'm asking you to trust me. I know I haven't earned it, but I need it." Arva was hesitant, but headed his urgency. She did trust him, at least enough to know he wouldn't lie about something being urgent, so she agreed. She moved towards the rear of the vehicle, and was surprised when he asked her into the passenger seat. She accepted and entered, sitting next to him as he pulled away.

"What's wrong?" Arva asked once they got moving.

"I'm afraid things are not good," admitted Marcus, "those enemies I talked about? They're on their way here." Arva's blood ran cold as a chill cut down her back, and she gripped the arm rests.

"What?" She asked, somewhat disbelieving.

"Seems the incident in the Lows was misconstrued as an act of provocation, and they're retaliating," Marcus explained, "this is all my fault, I can admit to that, but we do not have the resources on hand to deal with the impending attack."

"You want me to put that suit on," Arva deduced. Of course he wanted her to pilot it. That's all he wanted from her.

"I didn't want to do this," Marcus said, "I wanted to respect your decision, but our enemies are ruthless. If we don't stop them, they'll attack the city, the Lows, everything."

"They can't do that!" Arva said as a shiver overcame her, "you have to turn around! We have to get my family to safety! You said you'd protect them!"

"And what about your friends?" Marcus asked, his tone cold and accusing, "or everyone else in the Lows, and the city? You'd condemn them to save your sister and grandmother? What about everyone else's sisters? And brothers? Children, parents, no one will be spared if our enemies launch an assault, and there's nowhere to run." Arva was floored by the slew of questions she couldn't possibly answer. It was so outside her realm of understanding, it made her feel insignificant and lost. It didn't seem fair.