Dicey - Chapter Fifty

"Katalin," Arva slid down the snowy slope, trying to snap the stunned girl out of her shock, "I promise, I'll explain everything, but we have to go back!"

"What..." Katalin seemed hopelessly oblivious, but not frightened, which helped Arva as she grabbed her by the hand and led her away. The girl kept glancing backwards. "What is that? What were you doing?"

"I can't tell you right now," Arva knew any explanation worth her breath would take too long, "I promise I will, but we have to hurry!"

"Okay!" Katalin said, "but please, Arva, you're hurting me!" Arva relaxed her grip and slowed her pace, letting the younger girl catch up. Arva felt a pang of guilt, swiftly overcome by a horrible sense of danger. Antumbra knew they were getting closer, which meant she knew they were closer. A useful but terrifying skill, and it was obvious she wouldn't make it to town even if she left now. She would have to hide, but doing so would jeopardize the family.

"Katalin, some very bad people are looking for me," Arva explained as succinctly and plainly as she could to avoid misunderstanding, "soldiers who want to take me away, but I can't let them do that."

"Why?" Katalin asked, and Arva figured she deserved the truth.

"They want what I have buried there," she said, mindful of the potential language barrier, "it's very dangerous if they get it!"

"I don't understand-" she said, but Arva didn't expect her to, there simply wasn't time.

"I know," Arva said, growing breathless as she tried to run and speak at the same time, "and I'm sorry, but you have to trust me." They made it home shortly after just as the wind began to pick up. Snow began to limit visibility, but the homestead was still easy to navigate, though the way they came was a bit more obscured. Katalin quickly ran to her father as Samuel made his way towards the main house. She started talking very quickly in their language, Arva not understanding a word, but the message was clear. Samuel looked at her with confusion and distrust, and Arva felt regret welling inside her.

"Get inside, Katalin," he said, "don't let anyone come out."

"But what about-?" the young girl began, but her protests were silenced by a stern shout from her father. She gave one last look of concern to Arva before entering the house, leaving Samuel and her alone. His distrust morphed into anger quickly.

"What have you brought upon my family?" He asked.

"I'm sorry," Arva said, "I didn't think they'd go looking for me."

"The Republic has been waging a war for decades," he said scornfully, "you think they'd just give up?" Arva had no answer, only a toxic swirl of shame and fear in her stomach.

"I..." she didn't know what else to say. She could have apologized again, but apologies were worthless now, and the two both turned their heads as a loud thud echoed from behind her. Then another, and then one more. The units she'd picked up on the radar had landed, and the pilots were likely approaching on foot.

"Into the barn," Sam said, no longer angry, simply firm. Arva looked at him with surprise as he insisted, "go, now."

Arva wasn't going to question it, and she quickly slogged through the snow into the wooden building as he closed the door behind her. She stood by the corner, peeking through a crack in the wood, and after a few agonizing moments of suspense, two soldiers emerged from the white haze. They carried guns. She swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. Only two men here meant one had stayed behind, likely still in his Argonaut, as either a lookout or backup. This made it even more likely that if things went wrong, the family could be in danger.