The Valley of Death - Chapter Sixty Nine

"This is unacceptable," the Admiral spoke into the mouthpiece on his headset, "I ordered eyes to be kept on Wilhelm at all times, how could you 'lose' him?"

"I'm sorry sir, but it's just too chaotic out here," the garbled voice of an unknown officer replied, "all we know is he was last seen heading towards the Habitat."

"Isn't it obvious?" The Chairman said nervously, "he's coming for us! He knows where we are, he's going to use that suit to obliterate this bunker!"

"Calm down, you idiot," the Prime Minister said, long having exhausted her patience for the Chairman's hysteria. Any sign of trouble and he panicked, and it was only serving to distract and irritate when so much was going through her mind already. The bunker was deep within the Castle, below where even senior officers had clearance. It was virtually at the Habitat's heart, under layers of reinforced steel armour and composite walls that blocked all wireless electronics or scanning equipment. The latter was useless to them, as Wilhelm no doubt knew its location from Benoit, and she cursed the turncoat for his treachery.

"Wilhelm wouldn't dare attack this bunker," the Prime Minister explained. "He doesn't have the firepower or numbers to get past the units guarding it."

"Still, I'm calling in additional platoons to do a sweep," the Admiral said calmly, "he's cunning, a direct assault may not be his goal. We cannot afford to underestimate him again."

"Damn that mutant freak," the Prime Minister cursed Vladolf under her breath, "he was supposed to eliminate Wilhelm, why did he go after that worthless girl?"

"It was a mistake thinking we could predict his actions," the Chairman said nervously. "We should've bought him, offered him a seat at the table-"

"Over my dead body," the Admiral spat. "The day a disgusting Hybrid has a say in our matters is the day I jump off the edge of this Habitat."

"The problem will be resolved," the Prime Minister insisted. A dull thud made the panic room they were in shudder, so much so they found themselves bracing against the leather furniture.

"The hell was that?" The Chairman screamed, "are they attacking us with artillery?"

"No..." the Prime Minister realized all too late, and ran to the communications station where she televised her declaration. It also served to keep them in contact with the outside world, and as she quickly switched through security feeds a lump began to form in her throat. What cameras were still operational showed devastating damage to the hallways.

"What is it?" The Chairman asked, and he was quickly answered when the whole panic room began to tilt. The feeds went fuzzy, but for a brief moment the blurry image of a red Argonaut appeared before more rumbling caused the room to tip nearly on its side. Disoriented and without a way to call for help, the Administrators were helpless as the roof of the room was torn away. The Chairman ducked behind the couch, and the Admiral was thrown to one side. Only the Prime Minister was able to keep herself in place, gripping the edge of the communications station affixed to the wall, and looked through the dust and debris at the machine that had found them.

Antumbra tossed the crumpled roof of the bunker aside as Marcus stood not twenty feet from the room itself. He wore a cocky smile, and his arms were behind his back as the suit that just dismantled their supposedly unbreakable bunker knelt next to him. The Prime Minister lowered herself down to the ground, collecting herself quickly. She didn't want to give Wilhelm the satisfaction of seeing her vulnerable. The Chairman wasn't so prideful, stumbling out of the wreckage, practically on his knees, begging for mercy.

"Please!" He cried, his trembling hands clasped before him, "you don't have to do this! It was their idea, I just went along! I can have you reinstated-"