Civil Disobedience - Chapter Thirty Seven

Elia sighed as she and Travis left Gramma's house, making sure to lock the door. When Arva had given Travis a key, he'd originally never intended to use it, but between Gramma's condition and the state of the world, a little security went a long way. They crossed the street back to his house, and entered his open garage, taking a seat on the old plaid couch next to the perpetual fixer-upper his father was always close to finishing.

"Thanks again," he said to her, relaxing as he wiped his forehead, "good thing you were there."

"Any time," Elia said, giving Travis a reassuring smile. Gramma had been getting worse since Arva left. She was having difficulties speaking, and thus had no ability to call for help. Hannah was at school, and Travis was alone when she'd attempted to take a bath and slipped. Luckily Elia had been passing by as Travis came rushing out looking for help. He'd feared the worst, but all that came of it was a bruised wrist. Though she could tell Gramma was more upset that it happened at all, Elia felt guilty. She had promised Arva she'd take care of her family while she was gone, and felt personally responsible for them.

"So, did you hear the rumours?" Travis asked with audible worry, "about the protests?"

"They protest every day now," Elia said flippantly.

"They're not... they wouldn't take the water and power away, would they?" Travis asked in reference to the newest threat from the city folk.

"Nah," Elia said as she turned herself on the couch, leaning onto the arm rest with her feet on the cushion. That was a lie, however, as Elia honestly did not know. It was impossible for Hybrids to even step foot in the city anymore, and the formerly neutral outskirts now had protesters and acts of vandalism happening daily. It had only been a week, but so much had gone wrong, and it scared every Hybrid in the Lows. People who didn't work stopped leaving the house. Doors were locked, windows were closed. The sense of community and peace was gone, swept up in paranoia. The few Hybrids who worked in the city were forced to quit their jobs for fear of their own safety, and nobody seemed to be doing anything about it.

"Hey," Travis said tentatively, "you wanna go inside and watch TV? I heard they're playing it again this afternoon," he said in reference to the amateur footage of 'divines' fighting out in the wastes. It had quickly gone viral, and the news played it regularly during their evening broadcasts.

"Sure," Elia said, only to immediately have to retract her statement, "can't, damn it. I have to walk Hannah home from school in an hour."

"Oh," Travis seemed disappointed, "I mean, we could just watch whatever in the meantime. I could even go with you."

"Sure," said Elia after thinking for a moment. She knew why Travis made the offer. The feeling of insecurity had spread throughout the Lows, and the school had urged children to either walk home with their family, or with someone else's. Nothing bad had happened yet, but at the rate the things were deteriorating, it was only a matter of time before something drastic took place. Having someone else along just in case couldn't hurt.

"Cool!" said Travis with a smile. They went inside, Travis' mother offering Elia something to drink or eat. She politely declined and they made themselves comfortable, Travis switching off the news channel that had already been on.

"Go back," Elia asked.

"Oh, sorry," he said, switching channels to show the latest developments, "I just figured we could use a break from all the-"

"Shh!" Elia hissed, listening as the unseen news anchor described the growing riots. Panning footage showed rallies of humans with anti-Hybrid signage chanting religious rhetoric and decrying those from the Lows. The encounter with the 'divine' was cited, people like the woman now littered the streets, and people's faith was being twisted into fear. It made Elia sick, but she kept watching as her suspicions were confirmed after the camera passed over a particular building. It was an investor's block, and the anchor went on to describe how when word got out that a Hybrid worked there, the protesters gathered out front, waiting for them.

Antumbra - A Lost Causeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें