Feudal - Chapter Fifty Three

The more Marcus traversed the Habitat, the more he grew an appreciation for its size. It was a marvel of engineering, the culmination of several millennia of technological advancement, and densely populated. It was a kingdom in nearly every sense of the word, and likewise permitted only the most prestigious to dwell within its proverbial walls. The deeper Marcus traveled into the massive floating civilization, the more the bloody war that ranged just outside her borders seemed nonexistent. The idea of war and death on a massive scale seemed misplaced in this nearly utopian landscape. It was safe, isolated in its own little bubble of prosperity, and from the crystalline towers on its surface to the multiple layers that descended into it, Marcus was often reminded of a kaleidoscope he owned as a boy. It was so massive that public transit, both across its surface and within its interior, were a necessity. As he looked out the ferry's windows as it descended through the levels, each one visible across one of the strategically placed gaps in the Habitat's form, Marcus let out a quiet sigh. When he turned eighteen Marcus had immediately purchased a house on one of the lower levels. As was to be expected, his adoptive parents were disappointed he didn't choose a more high-end property among the surface districts, where the elite and esteemed typically dwell, but he was insistent. He didn't carry the family name, so he wasn't beholden to maintaining the family's status as his brother did, and preferred the more humble living. Not that he exactly lived a spartan life, but he liked his dwellings to be more modest in size. He grew up in a home too big for three families, let alone the one, and downsizing to what he had now was more manageable. He only had one groundskeeper and a single maid, neither of which lived on the premises, and they only came by once a week for maintenance.

The gradient between the highest class and the lower levels grew more apparent as the hovering ferry docked along the walkway, the clear doors silently gliding apart. Unlike the skyscrapers and winding highways above, the lower levels were more condensed, featured less vehicle traffic, and were described by Cassius as being 'cozy.' They were, however, still quite well-off. Even the lowest levels carried the air of class and refinement, only much less formal. Marcus blended in quite well out of uniform, and fell in line with the foot traffic. Everyone still dressed the same and carried themselves the same as above, but the area itself was more condensed, with everything in walking distance. There wasn't any space to expand, so everything was efficiently designed, like a mall, and the soundproofing that covered the Habitat's inner workings almost made the lower levels feel like Marcus was walking through his own living room.

He turned down the street that led to the residential district, and like most passerbys Marcus kept to himself. Even down here the people were in their own world. It may look humble compared to the sweeping metropolis above, but the houses were still expensive, the society still classist and insular. Marcus was actually somewhat relieved once he got home, if only so he didn't have to be part of that populace. He placed his hand on the doorknob, and it instantly unlocked upon reading his prints. As he stepped inside the lights pinged on and the 'window' lit up, the three-dimensional image of rolling hills and blue skies projected with lifelike realism across the far wall.

"Window off," Marcus said, and the image faded away to black as he hung his coat and took off his shoes, exchanging them for a more comfortable pair of indoor loafers. His house was still huge, with a large open concept kitchen and dining room to the right, and just beyond the stairway to his left was the living room which descended a few steps down. So much space for one man, yet his building would still be considered cramped. He picked up the cup of coffee that had been prepared for him, the machine brewing it the moment he stepped foot on this level, and gave it a quick glance to make sure it had enough cream. Satisfied, Marcus stepped down into the living room and slid his finger over a nearly imperceptible sensor, and the floor opened up, illuminating the whole room with the light bouncing back up from the clouds below. Marcus took a seat on the couch and pointed at the wall, which illuminated once more into a large display. He picked up the handheld portion of his computer, a small tablet used primarily as a keyboard and cursor, and began bringing up information. One by one his tasks were resumed, from local news feed to emergency bulletins to the latest top secret documents from the Administration office. The only thing not present was anything pertaining to Antumbra or Penumbra, which were simply too sensitive to risk being accessed in his home. Still, he had ways of monitoring for them, and sighed as he checked his flagged keywords list.