02-The Sorting Ceremony

The Great hall

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in Slytherin-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face which immediately showed she wasn't someone to be messed with. 

"The firs'-years , Professor McGonagall" said Hagrid.

 "Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here" she said. 

Prof. McGonagall pulled the door wide open. The Entrance hall was so big with the stone walls lit with flaming torches, a ceiling that was too high to make out and a magnificent marble staircase facing the students that led to the upper floors.

McGonagall showed them into a small empty chamber off the hall. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start of term banquet will began shortly , but before you take your seats in the great hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting ceremony is very important as while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. 

You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

 Each house has it's own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points.

 At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." she said before going into the great hall leaving the students alone .

( A/N I really loved this speech of hers hence the reason all of it is here )

The students were whispering silently to themselves until a brown haired girl said loudly 

"OMG you're Ronald Weasley right?"

This was immediately followed by all of them rushing towards the said boy. He had red hair, freckles and what looked to be a very snobbish look on his face. 

"Of course and you are?" he asked.

 "Lavender Brown" 

He then went on to talk all about how he so-called killed the dark lord when he was just a year old and how the dark lord 'begged for mercy' at his last moments. Andy felt disgusted by this idiot who was actually all talk.

 Shadow hissed in agreement from it's place on her shoulder. Only a few people knew what happened that Samhain night and it was nothing like what Dumbledick and the Weasleys claimed.

Then the doors opened again as McGonagall reappeared. 

"Move along now" she said with a sharp voice as they all moved to form a line before walking out of the chamber, back across the hall and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

The hall was simply exquisite with a ceiling that just looked like it was an opening to the heavens. They gathered around a small stool in the front which had an old dusty hat on it. The older students around them in four different tables were looking curiously at the new first years as the hall soon went into complete silence. Then the hat twitched, a rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth - and the hat began to sing :