The Talk

Frigga and her sons entered the throne room. The council members that were there for a meeting swiftly turned their heads towards the three. Once they caught sight of Loki there was outrage.

"He should be chained!"

"Chained? He should have been hung! It is only by the Allfather's grace that he still breathes."

"He is a disgrace! He should not be able to walk these halls once more!"

Odin sat on the throne, silent. He did nothing to stop the wave of berating comments from the councilmen.

Loki was taking controlled breaths. In and Out. In and Out. It did next to nothing to control the burning feeling on his face. He did NOT need to deal with this right now. He wanted to scream, to run away, to attack the councilmen. His head was pounding so hard he felt like he might faint. All anyone on the outside saw was his calm and controlled mask.

"Councilmen." Frigga's voice startled him. "Your meeting is concluded until further notice. I wish to speak with my husband alone."

"But my queen-"

"That is an order."

They councilmen all filed out in discontent, Odin watching this all while still silent.

"Odin-"

The king put his hand up. "You know I expressly forbade Loki to come into the throne room."

Frigga was containing her barely sheathed anger. "I think we can look past that for a moment in the presence of a threat that would reek havoc upon us all. Loki has informed both Thor and I that a great threat approaches. One that we have seen long before but thought was cast out."

"Oh?"

"The Mad Titan, Thanos."

Loki flinched at the name. This did not go unnoticed by Odin.

"I am intrigued to see how he came by that knowledge when his magic is blocked and he is incapable of leaving the palace let alone the realm to open communication with another."

"He had-"

"I wish to know from Loki himself. Surely he must be able to recount the details once more."

Loki stood frozen like a deer in headlights.

"Well?" Odin's eyebrow raised.

"He came to me through a dream."

"Signs of an overactive imagination."

"He said he would destroy everything if i didn't do what he says!"

"Which is?"

Loki took a deep breath. "Turn myself and the tesseract over to him."

Odin sat contemplating for a moment.

"It might not have even been real."

"How could you say that?!" Loki screamed at the man on the golden throne. "I think I know the difference between a vision and a dream when I see one! He wants me!  He wants revenge and if I don't give him it... he'll get it anyways, and bring you all along with it. I can't go back there. He made me attack midgard! He made me hurt people I didn't want to hurt! Because if I didn't, he would do it anyways! He hurt me in so many ways and I know I haven't even scratched the surface. Please... I fell from the void to end it. I wanted to die! I wanted to kill myself because I couldn't deal with the fact that I am a monster by birth and no one ever fucking told me! I couldn't live with the lies and the betrayal and the loneliness. I wanted to die and the universe couldn't even give me that. Instead it threw me up somewhere where I... I was a mutt's chew toy."

Odin stepped down from the throne a bit so he was just above Loki in height. There was something in his eye that Loki couldn't quite place. Pity? "My child... your mind has been broken for a long time now. In you pain, it is possible you are unable to discern the fiction from reality. We cannot take every nightmare as fact."

A deep rumble from behind Odin kicked that theory to the curb. "No you cannot. But reality is often a nightmare in of itself. " Loki had tears streaming down his face from that voice. From his voice.

"So much suffering, so much pain and hunger. Alas, destiny arrives all the same. Or should I say, I do."

Odin turned to see the illusion of the purple goliath standing behind him. "Thanos. Release your grip upon my son and perhaps we could negotiate before there is any further bloodshed."

"It is too late for that Allfather. But I will allow a third option. I still need the tesseract. But in Loki's stead, any member of the Royal family of Asgard may take his place. This is my only other offer. Otherwise, expect bloodshed. And War. One you cannot win."

With that, the illusion faded and all of them spun around to see Loki holding himself up against a column, hyperventilating and crying hysterically.

Frigga reached him just in time to catch him as he fainted.

Thor carried his brother to the healing rooms with the Allfather and Allmother following close behind.

He lay his brother upon one of the beds to rest upon, while Odin called Tyr from the training grounds and Heimdall from his observatory.

To both he uttered the words that would set them upon their chosen path.

"Prepare for war."

Tyr went to the training yards to oversee the battle training of the new recruits that would have to fight in the upcoming battles.

Heimdall stayed behind and asked the Allfather, "What is your command sire?"

Odin looked him straight in the eyes as he said, "Send for our allies on Vanaheim and Alfheim. And send for the Midgardian heroes. It is about time I see these 'Avengers' in person."