Prologue

"The stars would not abandon me

"The stars would not abandon me."

⚔⚔⚔

In the serenade of midnight, the stars were dancing in the sky; lighting up the world as they sung in infinite patterns. Sometimes the eye needs to see the music, as in the darkest of times, they can sing words of comfort.

Two figures walked in the streets of Los Angeles, both strikingly similar with gorgeous earthy coloured skin and pure white hair. The older man appeared in a hurry, anger and grief etched across his feature. The young girl, not older than six, was oblivious to this. Being stuck in her mind thinking of the beautiful bluebird from earlier that day.

The man's hand grasped the young girl's, pulling her along the rocky ground as drunken shouts from the bar behind them echoed into the night air.

A small giggle escaped the girl as she tripped over a small stone, tugging at the large hand that held hers. A hum left the mans throat.

"Papa," a small yawn escaped her lips. "Where are we going? I'm sleepy."

The man peered down at her, his hazel eyes were young but within days they had been only filled with sorrow and tiredness. "We're going for a walk my Little Owl."

She nodded tiredly. "Could we slow down Pa? My feet are sore."

Almost instantly the pulling from her father had calmed to a halt as he slowed. Every now and then his free hand would ruffle through her snowy hair, shoulder-length hair, tucking it behind her ear to keep it out of her face.

Not many people were out in the street due to the cold besides the men singing songs in the bars. It was the beginning of spring, the beauty of the world coming back to life from the dreadful winter that was now passed.

"Can we have stew Papa?" mumbled the girl, her eyes grew heavy.

He hesitated before shaking his head. "Not tonight Little Owl, it's rather late for food. We will have it tomorrow, I promise." Once the last word had left his lips, his eyelids closed with regret.

His daughter cheered out softly, wiggling her legs at the thought of her favourite food.

"Until then I have to drop you off somewhere, you'll have to look after yourself for a bit," he said.

She pouted. "Why?"

With pursed lips, he carefully placed his hand on her head. "I just need to do something. How about I bring you back a cookie."

"You don't need to Papa," the girl smiled broadly up at her father, her eyes glistening in the starlight. "I know it's hard at the moment with that green stuff, you don't need to worry about me! I'm a big girl now!"