πέντε

ᵗʰⁱˢ ⁱˢ ʰᵒʷ ⁱ ᵈⁱᵉ

"ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs ᴀ ɢʀᴀɪɴ ᴏғ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ɪɴ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ғᴀɪʀʏᴛᴀʟᴇ

"ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs ᴀ ɢʀᴀɪɴ ᴏғ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ɪɴ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ғᴀɪʀʏᴛᴀʟᴇ."

The Hunters piled into the van. They all crammed into the back so they'd be as far away as possible from Apollo, Percy, Grover and Nico. Thalia and I both sat in the front with them, finding ourselves a lot more comfortable than at the back. Bianca sat with the hunters, leaving Nico without a thought, which seemed cold to me, but Nico didn't seem to mind. 

"This is so cool!" Nico said, jumping up and down in the driver's seat. "Is this really the sun? I thought Helios and Selene were the gods of the sun and moon. How come sometimes it's them and sometimes it's you and Artemis?" 

I swear this kid is adorable.

"Downsizing," Apollo said. "The Romans started it. They couldn't afford all those temple sacrifices, so they laid off Helios and Selene and folded their duties into our job descriptions. Mysis got the moon. I got the sun. It was pretty annoying at first, but at least I got this cool car." 

"But how does it work?" Nico asked. "I thought the sun was a big fiery ball of gas!" 

Apollo chuckled and ruffled Nico's hair. "That rumour probably got started because Artemis used to call me a big fiery ball of gas. Seriously, kid, it depends on whether you're talking astronomy or philosophy. You want to talk astronomy? Bah, what fun is that? You want to talk about how humans think about the sun? Ah, now that's more interesting. They've got a lot riding on the sun...er, so to speak. It keeps them warm, grows their crops, powers engines, makes everything look, well, sunnier. This chariot is built out of human dreams about the sun, kid. It's as old as Western Civilization. Every day, it drives across the sky from east to west, lighting up all those puny little mortal lives. The chariot is a manifestation of the sun's power, the way mortals perceive it. Make sense?" 

I don't think that even makes sense to a normal teenager, let alone an adult... 

Nico shook his head. "No." 

"Well then, just think of it as a really powerful, really dangerous solar car." 

"Can I drive?" 

"No. Too young." 

"Oo! Oo!" Grover raised his hand.

"Mm, no," Apollo said. "Too furry." 

He looked past Percy to me. It seemed as if he didn't care anymore about what he was thinking before as he burst out into a large grin. "Esra! Care to take a drive?" 

"Me?" I pointed to my chest and looked around. 

"Yes, of course, my dear," he winked. "What a perfect way to learn, am I right? By yours truly."