Chapter 18: The Vanilla Orchid Café

Knowing they shouldn't get caught in front or near the scene of the incident, the metahumans sprinted over to the other side of the street and entered the first building they saw.

Once the doors closed behind them, all of the stress in their bodies evaporated, and they fell to the polished wooden floor.

"Oh my god," Blossom gasped. "Finally, we got away..."

Her companions said nothing, but it wasn't really necessary to state just how much they agreed. They had spent a good chunk of the afternoon playing hide and seek, and they just wanted to rest.

"Um, may I help you?"

Hearing the hesitant voice, the metahumans opened their eyes. At first, all they could see was a pair of stocking-clad legs and black low-heeled shoes, but as they raised their heads, a brown-and-cream dress with long puffed up sleeves on a slim, petite body, and white gloves covering small hands slid into view. Over the dress was a black apron. A little higher, and they could see a pretty round face framed by brown locks of hair atop narrow shoulders.

For a few seconds, the metahumans stared blankly at the new arrival, their minds still reeling from the earlier incident.

Eventually, it dawned on them that the dress was actually a uniform, which was worn by an adolescent female with brown hair tied in a topknot. White embroidery on her apron spelled the words, Vanilla Orchid Café, with leaves and flowers encircling it in a swirl-like pattern.

Just as the thought sank in, another startling revelation dropped in—it was somewhere in the afternoon, a time where most people their age roamed idly by, looking for something to kill time, and they were sitting on their butts inside the Vanilla Orchid Café, one of the best social spots in Megaville.

Though the Rowdyruff Boys didn't know this, the Powerpuff Girls were absolutely mortified. They shot up from the floor, their faces flashing different shades of Brick's hat, as they offered meek apologies to the employee.

Fortunately, the girl wasn't upset, only surprised and very confused with their sudden arrival. After calming the three of their worries, she asked the group if they were there to eat.

The instant the question left her lips, the metahumans looked at each other, the absurdity of the situation finally dawning on them. When they escaped, the only thing on their minds was getting away from the scene, so checking their list of hiding places wasn't really one of their priorities.

But now that they were there, the metahumans were really wishing they did.

"Um," Blossom stammered. "We... we, um..."

At that moment, Butch cut in. "Yes! We're fucking tired and hungry—can we get a place to sit at?"

The waitress looked surprised by his outburst. "Uh, are you sure? The rest of your party—"

"Are starving!" the ruff answered hastily. He nudged Brick hard, almost knocking him over in the process. "Right bro?"

Rubbing his arm in annoyance, Brick gave his brother a quick glare before putting a hand on his hip and asking the waitress, "Can we eat here or not?"

The waitress gave a startled jolt, and she shook her head nervously. "I'm sorry. Yes, you can be here. Come this way."

With a small bow, she walked off, followed closely by the group.

As they passed through the dining area, the Rowdyruff Boys couldn't help their curiosity at the interior. The floor was paneled rosewood, while flower-like strokes gave some color to the cream-colored walls. The decor was all boho chic and a mix of rich and pastel shades. A faint, clean scent hovered in the air.