Chapter 5: Here They Come

Later in the evening, at around 8PM, while the Powerpuff Girls were watching television, they heard the echoing ding of the doorbell. Blossom stood up from the sofa and walked over to the door. When she pulled the door open, she came face-to-face with Brick's crimson eyes. Boomer and Butch stood by at his sides.

Blossom wasn't surprised by their appearance, just slightly startled. She looked above them to see Dr. Brisbaine staring back at her. He was standing behind the Rowdyruff Boys, but he towered over them which made him easy to see.

"Good evening Blossom," he told her, his tone formal and slightly stiff.

"Good evening Dr. Brisbaine," Blossom returned politely. "I'll just go get the professor."

Dr. Brisbaine shook his head. "It's fine; I don't plan to stay long. I was just escorting the Rowdyruff Boys here."

Blossom nodded and moved aside to let the Rowdyruff Boys inside. Without any further prodding, the three boys walked in. A quick survey showed that each one of them had only one bag each. They didn't even look back as Dr. Brisbaine turned around and walked away into the night.

Somehow, Blossom had the feeling he would be irritated with Professor Utonium for a while.

Just then, the six metahumans heard Professor Utonium's voice come from the door that led to his lab. "Girls, who was that?" A second later, the scientist walked out.

"It was Dr. Brisbaine and the Rowdyruff Boys," she told him. "Dr. Brisbaine left now though."

"I see." Professor Utonium walked into the living room and smiled at the new arrivals. "Good evening boys. I think you might've been told already, but from now on, I'll be your new guardian—or, I should say, your adoptive father."

"We know sir," Brick said, his voice surprisingly quiet.

Professor Utonium's smile dimmed a little when he heard the name. "Brick, you don't need to call me 'sir'. If you'd like, you can just call me 'professor', just like the Powerpuff Girls."

"Yes professor."

Surprisingly, neither of the Rowdyruff Boys were being much trouble at all. They seemed very taciturn, which could be taken as shyness, but neither of the occupants of the house were inclined to believe so.

As the silence stretched on, the tension in the area began to grow thick. It settled on the occupants like a suffocating blanket, sucking out all the air in the room. It had nothing to do with awkwardness; the boys were just so unusually quiet, so still that it was difficult to grasp at what to say.

So it was luck that Bubbles thought of something.

"I'll show you where to sleep," she offered, jumping off of the couch. She gave the boys a bright smile and gestured to the staircase.

The boys followed her with surprising obedience, considering the history they had with her and her sisters. Buttercup and Blossom couldn't help but stare at them, wondering what happened.

As Bubbles led the boys up the stairs, she kept up a lighthearted tone, like she wasn't bothered at all by the new living arrangements. And maybe that was true.

"You'll be sleeping in our room tonight. Sorry if it's not what you expected when you came here, but we didn't have any other rooms available. And it won't exactly be good for any of you if we have you sleep in the living room, is it? But don't worry, the professor said we'll be moving to a new house tomorrow."

Still smiling, Bubbles opened their bedroom door. Still silent, the Rowdyruff Boys entered. Instantly, their gazes homed in on the sleeping bags that had been placed for them on the floor at the base of the Powerpuff Girls' bed. If they could see the sleeping bags, that is; the mound of pillows that Bubbles had put on them seemed to swallow them, and looked ready to swallow up the Rowdyruff Boys too.

"Those are a lot of pillows," Butch said, finally speaking. But somehow, the sound of it felt off without the mischief he usually displayed.

Bubbles giggled nervously and tugged on one of her pigtails. "Well, I didn't really like it all that much that you'll be sleeping on the floor. I thought it would've been too hard. So, I decided to put the pillows there so you could be comfortable. Maybe I put a little too ma—"

"We're fine," Brick said, cutting her off. He dropped his bag on the pillows. "Thanks."

For a fraction of a second, Bubbles was taken aback that he actually thanked her. She quickly regained her composure, and said to him, "You're welcome." She reached for the doorknob and pulled it back. "I know this is all so sudden for you, to suddenly start living with us, but I hope you don't hate me for it."

Then she closed the door, leaving the boys in the room.

For a few seconds, the three stared at the closed door, their thoughts unknown to each other. Then Butch said, "Did she just say not to hate her?"

Brick slowly nodded. "You can't tell someone not to hate you when you're considered their enemy."

Only Boomer stayed silent, but a whirlwind of thoughts was in his mind.

================================================================================

They're finally here! Dr. Brisbaine isn't exactly very happy that the boys will no longer be under his supervision, but there isn't anything he can do about it. The Admiral himself signed the adoption papers.

('-_-) Sorry if it took a bit long for this to happen. I hope you like this though!

- BlackAndWhitePersona