Chapter 8: With The Boys

Somehow, it felt like nothing had changed when the metahumans were at school. No one knew about what happened, so they were still their usual selves. Everything was so unusually ordinary that before they even knew it, the groups reverted back to being separate once more. It was as if their new relationship didn't exist.

And then something occurred at lunch.

From the loudspeakers, the principal made an announcement, telling students that the teachers had an affair they needed to attend to. "Classes are suspended for the rest of the day, so you can all go home now."

The principal's voice was just dying away when a roar of cheer erupted in the school. Students jumped their feet, and the grounds and corridors were full of high fives and shouts as students realized the opportunity they suddenly had.

However, not all students were happy with this.

The Powerpuff Girls gave each other weary expressions. While their classmates thought of fun and time off from classes, they only thought of how they would not be able to persuade those crazy fan girls to go home this time.

"I guess that means we should go home early," Blossom concluded. She started walking towards one of the entrances to the school building. Bubbles stood up and followed her lead.

Buttercup watched them for a moment, then groaned. "C'mon, why can't we just leave them alone? They can take care of themselves."

"We can't," Blossom said firmly. "The professor won't like it when we come home without them, and unless you want to come back here to get them..."

She didn't finish her sentence, but Blossom made her point. Buttercup groaned, and she begrudgingly followed her sisters into the corridor. "We don't even know where the guys are."

"That's what our senses are for, aren't they?" Bubbles pointed out cheerfully, poking her nose. "We'll find them!"

The girls searched through the corridors, keeping their senses sensitive to anything that distinguished the Rowdyruff Boys—specifically, the sounds of the fan girls stampeding against the floor.

After a few minutes of searching though, it was clear none of them were on the first floor. "Sheesh, where are they?" Buttercup complained. "We don't have all day." She turned to Blossom. "You told them where to meet up after school, didn't you?"

"Over by the school entrance. But they weren't there."

Bubbles attempted to placate the short-tempered puff. "They could've just forgotten Buttercup. I don't think they'd make you wait on purpose."

"Hmph. You give them too much credit Bubbles. That's exactly what they'd do."

"But—"

Suddenly, the sound of stomping interrupted Bubbles's protest, and all three girls turned towards the staircase. The sound echoed faintly from its walls, and when Blossom placed her foot on a step, she could feel the floor trembling slightly. There seemed to be voices, but they were easily smothered by the stomps.

Bubbles frowned in confusion at the ceiling. Then a strange scent passed her nose. "What's this?" she murmured to herself.

"What's what?" Buttercup demanded.

"Do you smell something?" Blossom inquired.

"It's..." Bubbles pressed her lips together, inhaling deeply. "Ginger. Ginger with a hint of citrus."

The words were familiar. There was a pause for a moment as they figured out the reason, then Blossom found it. "That's what the girls said—" She almost faltered when the memory came to her "—while they tried to get another whiff at him."