Chapter 3: His Secret Work

Since that dinner, nobody spoke a word about the conversation. It seemed like a very reasonable solution, except a sort of inexplicable course of events had descended a night after that. And it had nothing to do with any of the Powerpuff Girls.

At one point or another, they had caught Professor Utonium speaking to someone on his phone. It wouldn't have been anything unusual, except when they saw the caller ID, it had the name Mr. Barrington. The name wasn't familiar to any of the Powerpuff Girls, and when they'd asked him, Professor Utonium was evasive. Then came the outings. Every so often, the professor would leave the house for some urgent meeting and didn't return until after the girls came home. There was even a time where Professor Utonium told them he was going out of town for a meeting and would not be back until late in the evening or early dawn.

One afternoon, when the Powerpuff Girls returned from school, they found him sitting at the dining table, staring at a sheet of paper in his hands. A few more papers lay on the tabletop. Out of idle curiosity, Blossom asked him what they were for.

Much to their surprise, Professor Utonium looked at them with an alarmed expression. Apparently, he'd been so focused on the contents of the paper in his hand, he hadn't realized they'd come home.

"Girls!" he practically shrieked. His hands scuffled about on the table to try and bring the scattered papers together, then stilled. Perhaps he decided it was useless to hide what he was doing.

"Um, professor, what are you doing?" Blossom asked him, feeling a bit awkward.

Professor Utonium stared at them for a moment, then turned to the papers he had. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, which gave the Powerpuff Girls the impression he was about to say something important.

But he only stood up, gathered all his papers into a neat stack, and said, "I'll start making dinner in an hour."

The Powerpuff Girls looked at him in disbelief. "Professor, what's happening?" Buttercup demanded. "What's with all those papers?"

"Is there something wrong?" Bubbles asked, concerned.

Professor Utonium didn't even hesitate to reply. "There's nothing wrong girls. These are just work I have finished. I'll tell you at dinner."

Blossom narrowed her eyes, searching his face as if she could find an answer written on it. "Professor, does this have something to do with all you've been doing this entire time?"

The girls heard Professor Utonium chuckle, which meant Blossom hit her mark. He walked over to them and placed his hand down on Buttercup's head. "Yes, it is. But if any of you want to know more, you'll have to wait."

Buttercup couldn't help the groan that came out of her mouth. "Aww, come on already professor!"

"Sorry Buttercup. My lips are sealed until then."

================================================================================

Oh, the professor's got some secret! I wonder what he's been planning? Has he found a way to solve the Rowdyruff Boys' problem? I really want to know.

\(*U*)/ Eureka!

- BlackAndWhitePersona