Chapter 10: Dance! Dance! Dance!

Once inside, the children felt a blast of cold air hit them. Different sounds pulsed and mixed together beyond a doorway. Bright lights shone above their heads, making the tiles underneath seem much whiter than usual. A few tables with benches for chairs were spread around for guests. There wasn't a window to be seen, and the only thing that showed the outside world were the automatic glass doors. The only person in the room was a young man sitting behind a snack bar.

"I've never been in a place like this before," Boomer remarked. He turned to Bubbles. "Is this what everyone does after school?"

"Sometimes," she responded.

"So, when do we get to play?" Butch demanded. He heard someone snicker behind him, and when he looked back, he saw Buttercup with her fist over her mouth. "What's so funny?"

The green puff didn't even try to hide her grin when she replied, "Don't you know? You can't play anything without tokens."

"Buttercup, cut it out," Blossom told her.

"How do we get tokens then?" Boomer asked.

Blossom pointed at a machine that stood by a line of vending machines. It had different slots, and above each one was a metal plate that labeled what kind of coin or bill should be put in. Below the slots was a narrow metal opening with a plastic cover. "Anyone have any money?"

"You mean, besides you?" Buttercup retorted.

"Yes. I mean, besides me."

Everyone considered the question. If there's anyone else here who would have money... As their minds came up with the answer, their heads swiveled to the same person.

"What?" Brick demanded.

"Bro, do you have any money?" Butch asked him.

For a few seconds, Brick was silent. Then, he reached into his school bag and took out a handful of cash. "For the record, how'd you know I have money?"

"You're the leader," Boomer said simply.

Brick scowled. "Care to elaborate?"

"You're more responsible," Blossom put in. "The professor wouldn't trust an allowance with your brothers. Boomer might lose it, and Butch..." She looked at the green ruff. "He might just spend it all."

"Hey!"

"Hmph. Good enough."

"Brick! You're supposed to be on my side!"

His brother merely waved his hand dismissively and walked over to the slot machine. "I can't help it if it's the truth." He slipped in some money into one of the slots, and tokens clinked against the metal opening. Brick tossed a few to his brothers. "Here, now shut up and go play."

Blossom put in some money of her own and split the tokens with her sisters.

"Do we still need to watch the boys?" Bubbles asked.

"Just make sure they don't steal from the machines."

Butch rolled his eyes at them. "C'mon! We don't need any chaperones. Do you really think we'd do that?"

"Yes," Buttercup said flatly. "You're petty enough to try it."

"I—" Butch stopped as the words sank in. Then he smiled, both impressed and amused. "You pay more attention to us than I thought."

"There's a lot someone can know about one person just by fighting them."

Butch snorted and ran for the other room. "Whatever! Just get in here and stop being so uptight!"