Chapter 4: The Turning Point

An hour later, the Powerpuff Girls sat in their seats at the table, waiting eagerly to hear the secret Professor Utonium had kept from them. Maybe it involved the strange purple hue of the sky, since the papers he had earlier looked official. Maybe it was from Dr. Brisbaine or the other scientists he was working with.

Eventually, Professor Utonium swept into the dining room and took his seat. The Powerpuff Girls waited for him to speak, but he didn't say anything yet. He let them eat first before giving them the news.

"Honestly girls, there is no way to sugarcoat this," he admitted, "so I'll just tell you what I did and what those papers are."

The Powerpuff Girls nodded simultaneously, and they waited tensely. The professor sounded very serious. What was he going to tell them? Was it bad news? They really hoped not.

"Girls, I've decided to adopt the Rowdyruff Boys."

But nothing prepared them for that.

Professor Utonium's declaration hit the Powerpuff Girls like a baseball bat, stunning them into silence. It rung in their ears, repeating over and over again.

Finally, after a moment of silence, Buttercup found it in her to speak. "You're going to do what?!" she shrieked, standing up and slamming her palms on the table. Her plate shook and the silverware bounced.

Blossom jumped to her feet and stared at her father in shock. "Professor, do you know what will happen if you adopt the Rowdyruff Boys?!"

"We can barely stand it when they're in the same school as us! And now, you're gonna saddle us with them at home too?!"

"This will only cause trouble for us!"

"What were you thinking?! Have you lost your mind?!"

While her sisters shouted at the professor, Bubbles remained in her seat. Her body was rigid, but her mind was whirling about, still trying to process Professor Utonium's words. He planned to adopt them? Was it because...?

"Now girls, sit down," Professor Utonium told Blossom and Buttercup, his demeanor calm. "Sit down, and I'll explain everything to you."

Actually, the two girls would prefer to remain standing, but the professor was waiting for them to make a move, and eventually, they acquiesced. The three of them waiting, Professor Utonium began to speak.

"Maybe it's more appropriate to say that I have already adopted the Rowdyruff Boys, about a day ago, I think. I started preparations around a few days ago, preparing the adoption papers and arranging a meeting with the Admiral so he could sign them."

"Hold it!" Buttercup interrupted, almost snapping at him. "I don't want to hear how you adopted the Rowdyruff Boys! I want to know why! What made you think to get those problems?"

Professor Utonium was about to reply, but Bubbles answered for him. "It's because he wants to help the Rowdyruff Boys."

Blossom and Buttercup turned to look at their sister, who had been silent just earlier. "Help them? How would adopting the Rowdyruff Boys help them?" Blossom asked. "Isn't that a little drastic?"

"I don't think so. Maybe that was the only way." Bubbles spoke quietly and hesitantly, as if she couldn't believe it herself. She looked up at Professor Utonium. "Is that it professor? Is that why you're adopting them?"

Slowly, he nodded. "Exactly. Ever since you spoke to us about the Rowdyruff Boys' situation, I had been wondering what I could do for them. After all, you did tell us how they were only considered as weapons. And that just didn't sit well with me, since everybody deserves a chance to enjoy life."

"But I thought there was no way to convince Dr. Brisbaine to give the Rowdyruff Boys some room," Blossom protested, then it hit her. For a moment, she struggled to speak as the truth threw all the air out of her lungs. "That... That is—That's why you..."

"That's what?" Buttercup demanded. "What is it Bloss?"

"That's why he adopted them!" Blossom finally got out. "The professor is taking Dr. Brisbaine's authority away from the Rowdyruff Boys by becoming their legal guardian! Now, he'll be the one calling the shots!"

"Alright! You don't need to shout."

Professor Utonium smiled at them and shrugged. "Well, they won't be completely out of Dr. Brisbaine's authority; his authority over them is just limited. And there are conditions, such as that they cannot skip on training, and I cannot keep them from doing missions. But on how they live their lives, I will control that part."

"Can I ask something professor?" Bubbles suddenly asked.

"It depends on what you want to know," the professor retorted, but he nodded.

"Why would you go to the Admiral to sign the adoption papers? Won't it be easier to go to Dr. Brisbaine and Dr. Weasel instead?"

"I knew neither of them would agree to it. The Admiral, on the other hand, seemed to be more lenient with the Rowdyruff Boys, because he was the one that allowed Brick to go see why Blossom and Dexter were taking so long. That was the 'urgent meeting' I told you girls; I had gotten in touch with the Admiral and went to talk to him about adopting the Rowdyruff Boys."

"And he agreed," Blossom interrupted.

Professor Utonium nodded. "So, from now on, the Rowdyruff Boys will be living with us."

"But professor," Buttercup protested, "this house isn't big enough for all of us. We don't have any other rooms for the Rowdyruff Boys."

But the professor knew that already, and he had already made the necessary preparations. Smiling, he explained to the Powerpuff Girls about a house he had bought from a realtor named Mr. Barrington—Blossom remembered him as the caller the professor had been speaking to. It had three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a spacious yard.

"Now, I know it won't be easy for the six of you to live together, since you used to be enemies, but I want you to at least make an effort and try to get along."

Try being the operative word.

===============================================================================

Oh dear! What did Professor Utonium do? Now, the Rowdyruff Boys and the Powerpuff Girls will be siblings! And all this was so the Rowdyruff Boys could have a more normal life. But I guess drastic measures had to be taken in order to pull them from Dr. Brisbaine's hold.

/(>o<)\ Life is gonna get hectic...

- BlackAndWhitePersona