Chapter IX - Prototype

I shook my head and rubbed my temple in an attempt to recover some of my strength.

"Did you get hit?! Hey!" Kaltar said as he grabbed me by the shoulders, shaking me lightly.

"No, I'm fine. I just...used a bit too much energy. Just give me a minute." I said faintly.

"You know we can't linger here." He whispered softly, as his hand rose to grab my chin, his thumb gently tracing my jaw.

His gesture took me a bit by surprise, but I nodded and took a few deep breaths. He grabbed my arm and wrapped it around his neck, his other hand firmly attached to my waist as he slowly pulled me up.

"Come on, let's get back." He said, with the characteristic calm I came to know.

"Wait.." I said as I saw something with the corner of my eye, "Look there."

He tensed as he turned towards the limp bodies of our attackers, but relaxed soon after spotting the object he figured I must be referring to.

"Alright, hang on." He said as he helped me steady myself against a wall.

He then quickly picked up what looked like a notebook and carefully shook the blood off of it. He came back and extended his arm towards me, but I lifted my hand, politely declining his gesture.

"I'm good enough to walk." I said and clumsily let go of the wall I'd been clinging onto.

He shrugged and started walking back towards the hideout, making sure to allow me to set the pace.

"You should not push yourself so hard." He said, but I didn't detect any trace of reproach in his voice.

"I had to. It's just that...." I started, not exactly knowing how to put my thoughts into words.

"Well?" He asked impatiently after a few moments of silence.

"There was no other way...And being a bondless Fairy makes enchanting considerably more energy-consuming." I said cautiously, biting my lip.

I glanced at his thoughtful face, my heart racing. I knew right away that he realized what I was implying. Eventually he sighed.

"To be fair, I was never bound to a Fairy. I've never even had the privilege to have one of their enchantments bestowed upon me as I fought before."

I looked at him wide-eyed as he said everything. I couldn't help but bow to him, keeping my head low as I felt the blood rise to my cheeks. I was being highly praised.

"Your words honor me deeply. The real privilege is being able to fight alongside a great warrior such as yourself."

He looked at me surprised, then chuckled softly, "There's no need for that." He gestured for me to rise.

I clumsily got up, still avoiding his gaze.

"It made me curious though. From what I've heard, Fairies can only enchant the warriors they are bound to. Guess that is just a myth?" He asked, displaying genuine curiosity.

"We can enchant anyone we choose." I explained, "Be they warriors, humans, our own selves or other Fairies. We just choose not to. To enchant someone we are not bound to by blood requires double the amount of energy. And it's not just that but...." I looked away.

"But...?" He encouraged.

"Well, the bond makes us....feel the other's energy flow...It helps us feel which are the natural strengths of the warrior. That way, we can focus on enhancing these further. It's always easier to get better at something you're already good at than to suddenly become good at something you....have less experience with." I hesitated with the last part, unwilling to imply that this mighty warrior may be lacking in any skill.