Chapter XXIII - Finally Free

I felt my vision blur as he squeezed my delicate throat and through the haze I could make out shapes in the sky and hear confident shouts in the distance. He had heard them too, because his expression suddenly changed as he turned around, his grip loosening ever so slightly.

"What? What is the meaning of this?!"

"C-Cav..." I struggled through his fingers, "Cavalry....is h-he...here!" I smirked.

"You insolent little..."

I let out a cry as he squeezed harder, feeling the crashing force against my windpipe. Before I could lose consciousness, he turned around and threw me to the ground. I hit it with a thump that knocked the wind out of my chest before rolling a few times. I attempted to push myself up but fell back down. I coughed violently, gasping for air.

The man in front of me took a moment to check his surroundings. I followed his gaze behind me, to see the humans now taking down other humans in a fierce battle. The sky was darkened by the swarm of battle-ready Fairies. They were wearing human protective gear, modified to accommodate their wings. They carried daggers, however, instead of guns. I smiled seeing them paying their respects to the Fairies of the past. They rained down on their enemies like killer bees, enchanting the humans they fought beside and mercilessly slashing through the opposing forces. I let out a relieved breath as the tide shifted once again in our favor.

Suddenly, a chill ran down my spine and I turned my head around to see Vali coming towards me, eyes rabid and mouth foaming with rage, sword gripped so tightly in his hand that I thought the hilt would snap and crumble under the pressure. I crawled back in fear until I hit something.

"Kaltar!" I cried as I saw him squirming aimlessly in an attempt to recompose himself as he regained consciousness. I glanced at the man coming my way and then quickly leaned down towards the warrior beside me. "Heal." I whispered softly into his ear, my hand pressed against his chest. I didn't know how much of a difference it would make, but I knew I didn't have much time as Vali paced menacingly towards me.

"Whether the clan gets wiped out or the humans do, it won't matter. At least I get to finish both of you pieces of garbage in one blow." He spat angrily.

I quickly got up and took a few steps forward before whispering a defensive spell, just as he rose his sword against me. "Repel!"

His sword hit an invisible shield with a force that pushed me to the ground. I crawled back as he stepped forward and swung his sword at me, hitting the wall again and again. The spell gave in just as I reached Kaltar again. I let our a muffled scream as the invisible wall broke against the force of his blow, shards of the leftover energy falling on me before disappearing into sparkling dust carried by the wind.

"Goodbye, insect." He gritted his teeth as he lifted up his sword, preparing to deliver the deadly blow.

I instinctively looked away, protecting my head with my arm, anxiously waiting for the blow.

But the blow never came. Instead, the battlefield resounded with the deafening shriek of metal against metal. I opened my eyes widely to see Kaltar's body towering over mine, standing on one knee, his shield lifted up protectively. I could tell the sword had hit against the rune.

"Now, Amanita!" Kaltar shouted as he used his free hand to grab and hold Vali's arm.

Without hesitation, I scurried from under Kaltar and got up, reciting the spell in one breath.

"CHILLED WINDS OF NORTH AND SOUTH, I CALL UPON YE! BESTOW YOUR GREAT POWER ONTO THIS HUMBLE SERVANT. SHOW THE WORLD YOUR WRATH AND GRANT ME THE POWER TO DESTROY MY ENEMY WITH A SINGLE BLOW, SO THAT EACH SOUL MIGHT TREMBLE IN FRONT OF YOUR EARTH-SHATTERING GREATNESS!"