Chapter XXII - Whatever It Takes

A/N: I just left for you one of my favorite battle-appropriate songs that I listened to many times while writing the battle scene. 

~

We marched through the forest cautiously. Kaltar led the way with me by his side, Hilda and Reidar following closely after. The entire forest was still, tension thick in the air. There was nothing to be heard apart from the cold clinking of metal armors.

As we were approaching the field, Kaltar signaled for everyone to stop. The four of us sneaked through the trees, glancing towards the open area.

"There's nobody there." Reidar said.

"Don't be so sure." Hilda gritted her teeth, pointing towards the horizon.

"It seems like they're waiting to ambush us." Kaltar said grimly.

"Then how about we use that very idea against them?" I whispered mischivously, causing the three to eye me suspiciously. "Get the others ready to march in."

Kaltar nodded and retreated, leaving Reidar and Hilda by my side. I took a few deep breaths, preparing myself for the complicated spell. Without delay, I started to chant.

"Chilled winds of East and West, I call upon ye! Bestow your great protection onto this humble servant. Show the world your calm and cover in secret. Cloak and hide, in mystery engulf, the sound deafen and the light extinguish. Show the world your calm and grant me the stealth to surprise my enemy, so that each soul might rest peacefully protected by your mountain-moving greatness!"

My voice twisted, doubled by an ethereal harmony, stronger with each word that rolled off my tongue. The still air begun to dance around me, gusts of wind whistling their way through the field. Slowly, but surely, a thick and eerie mist swallowed the tall grass and then the hills beyond, effectively masking our presence.

"Wow." Reidar exclaimed, "Guess we have the upper hand now."

Just then Kaltar came back, followed by the rest of his men. Together, we stepped into the misty field. It was difficult to see, but I knew for sure it would disorient our enemies even more. We advanced as slowly and silently as possible, our breaths quickening with each step. The storm was about to begin.

I slipped behind Kaltar at his command as we got closer to where we thought the humans would be. We could already hear the unease amongst their ranks. Kaltar rose the shield at the sound of whispers in the distance, tightening his grip on the sword's hilt. Hilda did the same with her sword and shield after adjusting the bow on her shoulder. Reidar had his signature axes in hand and a longsword at the ready, strapped to his belt. The protection rune was engraved onto his bracer.

A few human scouts had been sent into the fog to see what was going on. The warriors quickly and cleanly finished some of them off, but one finally managed to shout a warning before blood started gushing from the broad cut on his neck.

A loud 'FIRE' resounded through the field. Suddenly, a rain of bullets started falling upon us. They couldn't see us, but they shot aimlessly through the fog. They were determined not to underestimate us. The runes glowed white as they repelled each projectile. They work! I thought happily, suddenly feeling like all my struggle had been worth it. After a few minutes of endless fire, someone shouted again. 'HALT! I SAID HALT, GODDAMMIT!'

A heavy silence fell upon us for what seemed like hours. I placed my hand on Kaltar's shoulder, feeling his energy for a split second before whispering enchantments.

"Speed. Stamina." His two strongest suits. A faint glow traveled from my body to his as the enchantment took action.

Kaltar let out a battle cry, which the warriors behind him imitated wholeheartedly before rushing through the mist. The battle had begun.