Chapter XVIII - We Need A Plan

I quickly snuck out of the library and up the stairs, holding my breath as I peeked around every corner. I quietly opened the door and stepped inside. Upon seeing me, Hilda jumped up, a relieved look on her face.

"We've been looking everywhere for you!" She said as she hugged me tightly, "Where have you been? Kal's been going crazy all day!"

"He has?" I asked tentatively.

"Of course! He said you ran off and then simply vanished! And just as he dismissed you for being afraid for your life, no less! He's had us look everywhere for you!"

"I'm sorry.." I cried, "It's....I just....."

"Hush now. Come sit and tell me what happened." She whispered.

I followed her to the bed and sat down. As I started telling her everything that had happened, Astrid and Eira came into the room, both of their faces lighting up upon seeing me. They sat down across from us, listening intently to the story. About halfway through, Signe arrived as well.

"Are you saying he planned the attack that drove us out of our home?" Eira gasped.

Astrid slammed her fist against the bedframe, "My brother almost died in the first attack. He got lucky to be pushed out of the way when the monster attacked!"

"These are some serious accusations, Amanita.." Signe warned.

I sighed, "I heard them speak in the library tonight. One of them said they're keeping us here on purpose. What for exactly, he did not say, but there's definitely something going on! He wants me dead."

"Alright, don't get fired up, we're just trying to understand." Signe defended.

"Oh, one more thing...they seem to be hiding something in the dungeon." I remembered.

"I actually asked around as I was looking for you. Everyone claims they're using it for storage only. They haven't had prisoners in well over half a century." Hilda explained.

"I don't know....Vali seemed pretty pissed at the prospect of someone seeing his goons go down there. He almost killed one of them. Why would he do that if he had nothing to hide?" I cautiously stated.

"She has a point, Hilda." Astrid said, "It would certainly explain a lot of the weird things going on here."

I looked down, "But Kaltar will never believe me."

"His father was Vali's mentor. Kal's been looking up to him all his life. You would need solid proof to convince him." Hilda said thoughtfully, "But if you're right about this, we are all in mortal danger." She continued grimly.

"If I convince him to come with me to the dungeon, maybe whatever it is that they're hiding there will be enough to prove my hunch." I said hopefully.

"Well, either way, you can't go to him right now. If you are, indeed, right, you can not go to his room." She said in a low voice.

"He...shares a room with Vali's second-in-command." Astrid explained when she saw the confused look on my face.

"What should we do then?" I asked, my shoulders falling in disappointment.

"We should get some rest for now." Signe ordered in a motherly tone, "We will sort this out in the morning."

"I'll find Kal tomorrow and ask him to meet you at the training ground." Hilda offered.

I smiled, holding back a tear, "Thank you, thank you all!"

"No need. We're sisters now." Eira giggled.