Chapter XX - Before The Storm

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Lilly asked once I explained what she had to do.

"I hope. It's our only chance. They owe me big time. Make them if you have to." I said categorically, "Now go!" I urged.

And she did, but not before wrapping her arms tightly around me and whispering in my ear, "Promise me you'll stay safe, Ama!"

"You too, Lil!" I said before pushing her away, much earlier than I would've liked.

Taking a few steps back, I watched her blush pink wings flutter rapidly, carrying her over the wall and disappearing into the dark of the night. Kaltar and I then quickly ran towards the commotion. We all stared in shock. Reidar had set the entire barn on fire, unintentionally so by the look on his face. Thankfully, the blaze was already under control by the time we arrived. Everyone seemed exhausted as we extinguished the last remaining embers. Going back inside, I saw Astrid and Signe carrying an allegedly dead-drunk Hilda to her room for everyone to see. She made sure to shout all sorts or colorful insults that would make a sailor blush, just in case anyone had missed the spectacle.

Before I could head to the room myself, Kaltar pulled me behind one of the pillars and waited until the room cleared to speak, "You should've gone with your friends. You can still change your mind."

I shook my head, "I am your Fairy now. I will stand by you no matter what. I'm not afraid of this monster anymore." I spoke in a low voice.

"I'd rather know you're safe." He whispered softly, his gentle eyes clouded with worry.

"I'll be alright. You needn't worry about me." I said, eagerly reaching up to cup his face with my hands. He looked at me surprisedly and I shyly pulled away.

"I know you're strong. But this is war." He explained, slowly lifting my chin to look him in the eye, his expression grave.

"I know. But we'll get through this." I smiled, "I hope..." I looked away.

"If that Fairy is right, we have about two weeks before the battle. We've had less to prepare before. We have time to plan."

"By the way...." I mumbled, barely able to look into his eyes, "Thank you...for today, for everything."

He smiled sweetly as his thumb gently stroke my jaw. I looked at him wide eyed as he leaned in closer, my heart racing with anticipation.

"Are you two still here?" Eira's soft whisper resounded before she came into full view.

As if burnt by a flame, both Kaltar and I flinched and looked away in embarrassment.

"O-Oh...S-Sorry." Eira chuckled, "I didn't see anything, I promise." She smirked.

Kaltar cleared his throat, flipping his hair over his face, hiding his subtle blush, "I guess we'll continue our conversation some other time."

He scrambled to go first, leaving me wide eyed and tomato-red staring at my suggestively winking friend. She didn't say anything else though and just entwined her arm with mine, leading me up the stairs, giggling occassionally. The other women were already in the room. Upon seeing us, they all stopped talking, looking expectantly.

"The plan worked perfectly. They're all safe." I said quickly, not wanting to prolong the suspense. They cheered at the good news, "I want to thank you all for everything. I owe you more than I could ever repay..." I looked down smiling sadly.

"Oh, stop it!" Eira said shaking me playfully, "You owe us nothing, you saved us twice already before." We all laughed.

"I suppose I did. Unfortunately this is far from over." I confessed.