Chapter XV - Watch Your Back

I quickly stepped beside Kaltar who had stopped as soon as we left the trees behind. He was looking straight at the structure in front of us. It could've been the funny light of early morning, but I could've sworn I saw a hint of blush dance on his pale cheeks.

I took my time analyzing the structure that stood before us. In the middle of a large clearing, hidden under the protective gaze of some unusually large trees, rose the Hjalmari camp. It had walls made of sturdy tree trunks, deeply buried in the ground and held together by wooden planks and metal wire skillfully woven through. The tops of the trunks were thoroughly sharpened, some of them intentionally cut shorter at regular intervals, creating crenels. If I squinted, I could make out the unmoving silhouettes on the guards on the battlements. Straight in front of us I could see the tall gate closed. On either side of it, as well as in each corner of the wall, rose small watchtowers, their roofs covered in foliage. Oddly enough, each tower was dimly lit by flickering lamps. I raised my eyebrow, finding it strange that they'd keep the lights on at night, exposing their position.

I didn't get to overthink that particular detail, however, as Kaltar started walking again. I kept close to him as we approached the gate. The sentries eyed us, tensing for a second, before – presumably – recognizing Kaltar and relaxing the grips on their swords.

Upon closer inspection, I could see that each wooden pillar in the wall had protective runes skillfully carved into them. I would've loved nothing more than to carefully examine each one. From what I read, they were often times used back before the war between humans and Hjalmari. Although the origin of the runes was disputed frequently, everybody agreed they served their purpose better than even guards in some cases. But, alas, the man walking next to me didn't even spare them a glance.

As soon as we were close enough to the sentries, they straightened up and took their fist up to their chests, bowing their heads in respect. Kaltar returned their greeting. They didn't even seem to notice me.

"Good morning." One of the sentries broke the silence, "We were anxiously expecting your arrival. I am happy to report that everyone else has made it safely to the camp at dusk yesterday. They have settled in nicely."

"Thank you, sentry." Kaltar bowed, "Vali?" He asked.

"I'm afraid he is otherwise engaged with some...delicate external affairs." The sentry vaguely reported, "He should return to camp within a few days."

"I see..." Replied Kaltar, as if for himself, a small hint of disappointment lacing his voice.

"He arranged a special room for you. Ask for Livia inside the camp. She will show you to your room." He glanced my way with masked contempt, "And....hers...."

Kaltar frowned, making the sentry clear his throat and knock on the gate.

"Open!" He shouted.

Merely a second later, the massive gate opened just enough for us to go in. Kaltar quickly grabbed my wrist to lead me after him when he saw my hesitation to go in. The inside of the camp was even more impressive. Upon entering, we found ourselves in a spacious square. In the center there was a small stone well with images carved into the wooden posts that were supporting its worn roof. All around the well, in a circle, the ground was paved with roughly cut stones. From there, narrow pathways went in several directions.

I first looked to my right, following the path that led to the wall, where a series of rudimentary huts sat – probably serving as accommodations for the guards on duty. Quite close to the huts, there was a metal-frame shed, equipped with an oven, an anvil and a variety of blacksmithing tools. Weapons were displayed on a tall rack in front of the shed, but I couldn't see the details clearly from where I stood.