forty two

i cried while writing this lol good luck

MADDIE'S POV

I am in a moving car. I am not in bed. This is a problem.

Have I been kidnapped?

I have no memory of getting here. All I did last night when we got home was go to bed, and now I'm in a car.

Whose car? Couldn't say.

I'm almost tempted to let myself go back to sleep and just let fate work itself out because I'm scared that if I open my eyes, a big burly dark mafia member gang leader is going to be sitting next to me.

I cringe when I accidentally shift in my seat a little and it makes a noticeable noise, and I almost yell out when I feel a hand come on my thigh; that is, until I recognize the hand.

Just Harry.

No mafia member.

Okay, I'm going back to sleep. Too tired for questions that he won't answer.

***

I am not in a moving car any more. I am back in bed. Again, I have no idea how I got here. But I'm here. So.

I can only assume that it was Harry's doing, but once again, no idea what that was or why I was in the car.

What time is it even?

I roll over, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and opening them-

Hold up.

Harry, what did you do?

I'm definitely not in London. I'm at home.

What...the hell.

I grab my phone and check the time, seeing that it's almost noon? Did he sneak a sleeping pill into my water last night?

Confused being an understatement, I roll out of bed and step out into the hallway. It's silent, so I continue, stopping about halfway down the stairs to discover that it's equally as silent, and I keep going.

This feels like a simulation. Or an escape room. Or...I don't know. Is this a test of some sort? I'm not smart enough for riddles and Harry knows that.

When I go into the kitchen, both my parents are sitting at the table in silence on their computers and sipping tea.

"What...is happening." I say, stopping in the middle of the kitchen and they snap their heads to me.

"Hi dear!" Mum says with a smile on her face.

"...Hi."

"How did you sleep?"

"Uh, fine?"

"That's good to hear-"

"Would you like some coffee?" My dad chimes in, and I hate the fact that they're being so...weird right now.

"No, I want you to explain why I woke up four hours away from where I went to bed."

"I'll get you some coffee." He smiles, ignoring my question and standing up to move toward the coffee pot.

"What- oh my god." I unlock my phone and immediately go to call Harry, and after the third ring he declines the call. "Bitch!"

"Oh, hush." Mum says.

"Then tell me what is going on!" I say, exasperated and antsy.

She waves me off, standing up herself and approaching me. She hands me a white envelope with no label on it and I flip it over in my hands three times in confusion.