Black Tears

Brooke had never been inside the station before, she didn't even know it's name. She didn't think it would be that dark inside the station in the day, but she was wrong. The only light source was the electric timetable, showing when the next trains come. On the left was a closed-down coffee shop, everything still inside, presumably no one cared to come down here and clear it. There was also a door for the toilets, which probably also hasn't been cleaned in god knows how much, and Brooke decided not to look inside. She  heard Wilbur's calls for her, but she didn't go up or reply.

 She just stood there. Looking back and forth from the tracks to the timetable of trains. "No." She whispered to herself as she started crying. She tried to wipe her tears with her hand, only to smudge and get tears black with eyeliner all over her face and fingers. She didn't know what she was saying no to. Was it saying no to jumping, or saying no to staying.

She pulled out her knife from her secret pocket in her skirt. God she hadn't done this in a long time. She lifted up her hoodie sleeve, and slowly lowered the knife to her arm, but instead of her skin getting cut, the silence did. She heard light footsteps echo across the stairwell. She knew Wil was trying to be quiet and sneak up on her. She tucked her knife back away, pulled down her sleeve again and went to the darkest corner of the station. "Hopefully he doesn't look here," she thought as she tip-toed over to the nook between the walls.

 Just before she sat down, she stumbled and twisted her ankle, it hurt so badly. She crawled over to the corner sat down in a ball on the grimy floor, she didn't care at this point.

Wilbur finally reached the bottom of the stairs, accidentally tripping at the very end. "Brooke please come out. I know you're here." He whispered. His words made her cry even more, but she knew how to cry silently, she had taught herself how to overtime, she couldn't risk being caught sobbing in her room. She moved her head to see him. He was a dark outline, nearly blending in with the station. He walked around the station several times but didn't see Brooke. 

She was always the best in hide and seek, because even as a young child she had to find good places to hide from her mum, and later on from her sister.

 First Wilbur was asking her to come out, then begging, but she didn't move. Wilbur sat down and hung his head, then started humming. It sounded amazing. A few minutes passed. "I didn't hear a train come, where is she gone. I should've known better. I shouldn't have come up to her. She's gone for sure now." He muttered. Brooke heard his tears hit the dirty floor as he started humming again.

The entire time she had been on the floor, she had been breathing through her nose to be silent, resulting in her sniffing lots of dust and mud. She couldn't control it, and before she knew it, the whole station echoed with her sneeze. Wilbur immediately stood up and ran to her. Without a word he picked her up in his arms and started heading for the stairs leading to the outside world. Brooke sneezed again, and as her head shook little black droplets landed on Wilbur's face. He smiled at her, then continued up the steps.