teamwork .05

the girl heard the bell ring and locked up to see ricky bowen making his way inside the diner. nini let out a smile and leaned off of the counter, grabbing another apron.

"rise and shine bowen," nini chirped once ricky stepped through the door. the boy rolled his eyes and clocked in. nini followed ricky to the back and threw him an apron.

"why are you so grumpy?" nini asks while ricky ties the apron around his body.

"my mom and dad were just arguing a lot last night and i barely got any sleep," ricky groggily said, after letting out a yawn. nini nodded her head and gave ricky a lope sided smile.

"you could've came over," nini told ricky, "you know my moms don't mind.. right?"

ricky sighed and the both of them make their way back to the front, "i know i know.. it was just already late and i didn't wanna bother you."

"you never bother me, ricky," nini said in a stern voice. they both stare at each other with warmth before the girl awkwardly looks away, ".. besides, they made your favorite dish last night. you would've really enjoyed it...."

"adobo?"

"mhm with fried egg!"

ricky chuckled and shrugged his shoulders, "damn okay, maybe next time, alright?"

nini shot ricky a smile and nodded her head. the two workers started to place all the chairs off of the table and wipe down all the surfaces. they worked in silence while the sounds of the cooks prepping food, echoed throughout the diner.

"you think it's gonna get busy today or what?" nini asks ricky as they clean up the front. ricky shrugs his shoulders and throws his towel over his shoulder.

"probably, i feel like it's always busy when we work," was all ricky said. before the girl could answer, zack came in. the manager shot the two kids with a smile.

"morning morning!!" zack exclaimed. nini and ricky let out a chuckle.

"morning," they said in unison.

zack always loved scheduling the two best friends together. at first, he was a little bit reluctant on the whole idea. usually when two workers are really close, barely any work seems to get done. but one day, zack made a mistake and scheduled ricky and nini at the same time. that was the best and fastest service he'd ever seen. the two made a great pair and worked well together. he made sure to schedule the two at the diner's busiest hours.

time passed and customers started reeling in. as always, nini and ricky were ahead of the game. the diner was as busy as can be but that was never a problem for the two. in all honesty, ricky and nini probably didn't even realize how busy it was at some points. everything seemed calm and easy when they were together.

"i got table 6s drinks already," nini stated, swiftly passing by ricky. the boy nodded his head and grabbed a tray of food off of the counter.

"got it, serving table 4 right now," ricky called out.

"oh! don't forget! they wanted their-"

"-sauce on the side? i got it, don't worry," ricky bragged, cutting nini off. the girl chuckled, rolling her eyes. ricky continued, "oh! but table 2 wanted an extra cookies and creme shake."

"i already made it," nini told ricky as she went to grab another tray of food.

ricky nodded his head, "damn, beat me to it. lemme guess, that's for table 5?"

"that's correct, bowen."

nini let out a laugh and the two continued working in complete unison. time seemed to go by fast whenever they worked together. they were always moving so quick that they never realized how much time elapsed. eight hours passed and it was time for the two to clock out.