monster .14

ricky set his bag down and looked towards the bleachers. his eyes scanned for the small brunette girl but she was nowhere in sight. he made eye contact with ashlyn who only shook her head at nini's expense.

"she'll show up," ej come behind ricky, resting his hand on the sad boy's shoulder. ricky shook his head and sighed.

"she's not," ricky reassured ej, "i fucked up."

ej clicked his gums together, giving ricky a defeated look. the two boys both knew that ricky was right - nini was not coming. jack made his way through, bumping shoulders with ricky. the curly headed boy quickly faced jack with annoyance.

"oops, didn't see you there bowen," jack ridiculed. before ricky could even move, ej already had his hand wrapped around ricky's arm.

"stop," ej mumbled under his breath. jack stood still, smirking at ricky as he waited for the boy to do something.

ricky shook ej's hand off of his arm and sat down. he angrily put his gear on with intrusive thoughts filling the void in his mind. ej watched with concern from afar. he's never seen ricky so off.

jack's arrogant voice was echoing throughout the field. the audience in the bleachers talked over each other. the players' and coaches' yelling filled his ears and the loud music only filled ricky up with more rage.

clapping. ricky looked up from his cleats to see his coach clapping his hands in front of ricky's face, "what are you doing bowen? go warm up with your team!"

ricky looked past his coach to see his teammates already on the field.

shit.

nini saw ricky rush across the field, throwing his helmet over his head. the small girl stood slightly behind the bleachers. it was enough for her to see the game and enough for her to stay hidden. besides, nini was unrecognizable without ricky's jersey wrapped around her body. no one would ever see her.

the game had just begun and nini already sensed tension between jack and ricky. she caught them shooting glares at each other while ej got caught in the middle. ej only looked at the scouts in the bleachers. he couldn't afford to lose this game.

the ref blew the whistle and the start of chaos began.

+

ricky called out jack's name, only to be ignored for the tenth time again. ricky watched with annoyance as jack tried to score all by himself, obviously, he lost the ball. ricky and ej groaned, running back down the field as they tried to clean up jack's messes.

ej got the ball, sending the audience into a frenzy. ricky ran as fast as he could, blocking the opponents from ej. the blue eyed boy swiftly ran past everyone. it was as if he saw everything in slow motion.

ashlyn bit the inside of her mouth as the small ball flew out of ej's lacrosse stick. the whole friend group quickly stood up, watching with panic. a small smirk fell from ej's lips. the crowd's hands shot up as the small white ball hit the back of the net.

ej caswell scored again.

ricky jumped up with glee, running towards ej. he patted his best friend on the back, throwing out as many compliments as he can. ej grinned from ear to ear, glancing at the college scouts and his dad in the crowd. ricky ran past jack.

"and that's how you score," ricky trash-talked jack with a slight smirk on his lips. ej looked up to see jack run up to ricky and push him backwards. nini's body tensed up as her attention caught the two boys.

"let's see you try, bowen," jack spat back as ricky walked backwards. ricky looked unbothered and only had a look of poise all over his face. the curly headed boy put his hands up in defense.

"maybe i would if you would pass the fucking ball," ricky argued back. he mocked jack by bumping his shoulder as he ran past him. jack felt anger boil up in his body. he pushed ricky on his back again, sending ricky to the floor.

by now, everyone's eyes were on the two boys. jack towered our ricky's body who was currently facing the floor. before he knew it, ricky quickly got up from the ground. his fist connected with jack's jaw, making the boy stumble backwards.

ej was about to run towards ricky until he felt someone's hands grab him back. "get into this fight and say bye to the college scouts," the coach muttered, pulling ej away. ej watched as his coach and other teammates ran out there.

ricky noticed jack's imbalance and punched him again. he aimed for his stomach causing jack to fall back. the boy didn't know what got into him, but he felt pent up anger building up in his body. jack fell on his back, shielding his face with fear. ricky took advantage of his position and crouched down to jack's level.

nini tried her best to see but all the other players, coaches, and refs were starting surround the fight.

ricky grabbed jack's jersey, raising his fist in the year. he was about to punch jack until a few people grabbed ricky backwards. they twisted his arms back and pulled the curly headed boy away from jack.

ricky still had a grin on his face, watching jack suffer in pain. he didn't care for anything he did at that moment. he just knew it felt good to let go of some of that pain, especially on jack.

ej looked at ricky with disturbance. ricky had no remorse for beating up jack. it was as if ricky was unrecognizable.

the refs and coach brought ricky to the locker room. as he was dragged towards the locker room, his eyes caught nini's. he felt his heart stop while she looked at him with fear. ricky's smile fell and he looked at nini with apologetic eyes. the girl broke eye contact with ricky and faced the ground.

ricky glanced at his hands, horrified of what he just done.

he couldn't control himself anymore.