hard feelings .11

"nini," ricky whispered as he woke up the girl. her eyes were barely open as she saw ricky standing over her. the boy continued, "i'm gonna get home now before our parents notice. i'll see you at school later?"

"mhm..." nini muttered in a tired voice. ricky nodded his head and tucked nini back into bed before he headed towards her balcony doors. she heard ricky exit her bedroom and let out a sigh of relief.

nini laid on her back and stared at the ceiling in confusion. last night's scene replayed in her head over and over again. the girl groaned and threw a pillow over her face in frustration.

"i'm so confused."

+

"there she is! looking as dead as ever!" ej shouted as their group of friends watched nini walk down the hallway towards them. ricky awkwardly looked away from nini and patted ej's back.

"hey, i uh gotta use the bathroom," ricky lied before quickly splitting away from the group. as soon as nini reached them, ricky was already gone.

nini watched ricky scurry off with disappointment and embarrassment.

he's avoiding me.

"your makeup looks so cool, neens," kourtney exclaimed as she examined nini's makeup. nini forced out a smile and thanked her friend. kourtney continued, "did you do ricky's too? cause his looks really cool too."

"uh no.. i haven't seen ricky all morning," nini quietly said, "...do you guys know where he went?"

"he said he has to use the bathroom, probably taking a shit," ej answered before they changed the topic again. the friend group talked amongst each other while nini gravely searched the hallways for ricky.

finally, nini made eye contact with ricky as he walked back up to the group. they greeted the boy with excitement as the two friends discreetly eyed each other with tension and longing. ricky made sure he didn't stand anywhere near the girl, confusing her even more.

"you guys need a picture together," gina exclaimed, snapping nini out of her thoughts.

"uh it's fine. we don't need to-"

"i'll take it," seb happily said, cutting ricky off. nini just stared at the ground as her friends pushed her and ricky close together. the girl sneaked a look at ricky to see him completely avoiding her presence.

"okay! say "boo" after three! one...two...three!" seb callout as he centered the two in the picture.

"boo..." nini and ricky awkwardly said as they forced a smile for the camera.

as soon as the camera snapped, ricky quickly let go of the girl and made his way to seb. the boy only talked to seb, as they looked through the photos together. nini stood in place, watching ricky's behavior.

she noticed how he avoided eye contact with her or even looking in her direction in general. his body was stiff, showing how uncomfortable he was around the girl. anytime someone would include nini in their conversation, ricky would leave right away and join a new one.

nini felt stupid, overwhelmed, and embarrassed.

this is exactly what happened when they were little.

-

"ricky... can i tell you something?" nini asks the boy as they sat on the swings. ricky slowed down his pace on the swings so he could hear nini clearer.

"what's up?" ricky asks the girl with a grin on his face.

nini dug the back of her shoes in the tree bark, building up the courage to confess her feelings to the boy. she let out a sigh.