What We Need Is A Miracle!

Emma

I'm not used to waking up to silence.

I'm used to waking up to the sound of orphanage children screaming, birds chirping outside the window, the occasional little kid falling out of bed, my roommates talking.

But today, I woke up to the sound of a sizzling pan on the oven and quiet voices talking. Expecting to be in a room chock-full of bunk beds, I'm surprised when I wake up to only one, Dylan snoring on the top bunk. I quietly got out of bed and reached for my phone to check the time. 7:52 AM.

This may be the latest I've woken up in years.

I rubbed my eyes and then I noticed my brother sit up.

"Morning, Em."

"Morning, Pickle."

"You know I hate that nickname." Dylan said, climbing down the ladder of our bunk bed. I giggled and said, "Come on, I for one think it's hilarious."

"To each it's own, I guess." Dylan said. "I smell pancakes."

"Wait, me too!" I said. Dylan and I squealed and ran down to the kitchen, where Whizzer almost dropped his spatula in shock upon seeing us.

"Hi! Hi! Hi!" Dylan said, jumping up and down like a five year old on a sugar high. Whizzer laughed and said, "Morning, kiddos. Jason and Marvin aren't awake yet, so shhhh."

Dylan seemed to take the hint and stopped talking. I smiled at my brother and then Marvin came in the room.

"Morning Whizzer." he said, kissing Whizzer's cheek. "Morning Dylan, morning Emma."

"Good morning!" Dylan said cheerfully. "What are we doing today?"

"Well, today's Saturday, so we have a full day with Jason, so we thought we'd take you kids to the mall and out to lunch! How does that sound?" Marvin asked. Dylan and I looked to each other and nodded frantically. We haven't been out to eat in years.

"I'll take that as a yes! Now, how about you guys take showers and get dressed, and we'll get on the road!"

__________

"I wonder where Whizzer and Marvin are planning on taking us!" Dylan chirped, skipping down the sidewalk like a five year old. I laughed at my brother's antics and said, "I know as much as you do, Pickle."

"Don't call me that." I playfully punched my brother and said, "I'm going to call you that until the day I die, Dylan."

"I hate you."

"Love you too." I noticed Jason come to a halt in the middle of the sidewalk so we could catch up to him. Once we caught up to Jason, I noticed Marvin and Whizzer approach a brick building on a main road and open the door.

Dylan looked at the sign and gasped.

"Em. It's a Jamaican place!"

_________

"This is really good food." Whizzer said.

"I agree!" Marvin said, swallowing the food he had in his mouth before responding. Dylan was smiling like an idiot and I couldn't bring myself to do anything but blush.

"Aww, Dylan and Emma are so happy!" Whizzer said. He turned towards us and said, "Any specific reason?"

Dylan cleared his throat. "Em and I are Jamaican. We were born in Jamaica, though America's all we can remember. I don't remember what happened to our parents or how we ended up here, and I don't think Emma does either. And Em and I haven't had Jamaican food for...years. There may be a chance that this is our first time ever having it. It's strange. Eating this feels safe. It feels like eating a taste of home. And seeing you guys like it so much makes me happy."

I smiled and said, "I have some recipes, I've had them with me my whole life. Those recipes are my pride and joy, along with my locket which is at home. I've never had access to an oven to cook the recipes, but I can't wait for the day I finally can cook them."

Whizzer smiled and called for the check. "Come on, kids. Let's save the rest for dinner tonight."

___________

I couldn't sleep. I was in the kitchen, trying to make one of the recipes that was left to me.

I was perfectly content cooking and humming to myself alone. Everyone else was asleep, even Dylan, who was the lightest sleeper on Earth. I'm shocked he didn't wake up when I did.

I heard the door open, and then saw Whizzer walk out clutching a teary Jason's hands. Whizzer looked at me with confusion and said, "Em, why are you awake? It's 3 in the morning. Jason just had a nightmare and I was going to let him watch a movie and fall back asleep."

"Awww, poor kid. I'm just cooking, I couldn't sleep. Sorry." I said. I looked at a fully plated portion of food and smiled. "Hey Jason. Want a snack?"

Jason reluctantly nodded and I handed him the plate of food. He took a few bites and then I realized he stopped crying.

"Emma...you're a genius. How did you- that worked wonders..." Whizzer said.

"I've been around kids before. I was practically the mom of the eight and nine year olds back at the orphanage." I said.

Jason tugged at Whizzer's sleeve. "Can Emma watch the movie with us?"

"Sure, Jason."