Dylan's Wild, Save This Child

Dylan

It's been two months since my sister and I ran away to live with Charlotte and Cordelia. And while we managed to settle in and life's been going rather smoothly, it still hurts. It hurts because what Papa did to Dad and Aunt Trina is unforgivable. It hurts because the man who was so kind to not only adopt me, but my sister as well, decided to hurt everyone else in our family. It hurts because we're away from home. Our home.

Besides the fact that we live one house over from where we used to live, Emma and I still do all of the things we used to. We go to the same school, we fight like siblings do, it just pains me so much when we fight. Because it reminds me of Dad and Papa.

I'm kicking myself because I should've seen the signs earlier. I should've seen Dad's scared face whenever he was alone in a room with Papa. I should've heard them fighting, the anger in Papa's voice.

I could've stopped it all. I could've done something. But I didn't. And that made me feel horrible inside, like this was all my fault.

"Hey Pickle." Emma said softly to me as she was doing the dishes. I waved at her and the next thing I knew, she was sitting in front of me, holding my hand and looking into my eyes.

"Something's up with you. Are you okay?" Emma asked. "I've never seen you this quiet before." I sighed and said, "I don't think either of us are okay..."

"I'm...yeah. It's been hard, but I'm working through it." Emma said.

I couldn't take it anymore. Emma was holding herself together just fine, and so were Charlotte and Cordelia. I was the only one that was on the verge of collapse.

Then...I exploded.

"I CAN HEAR DAD AND PAPA AND AUNT TRINA FIGHTING FROM THROUGH MY WINDOW AT NIGHT!" I screamed.

Cordelia dropped the pan she was holding on the floor with a clatter. Emma stared at me with her wide brown eyes. It felt like the whole world just stopped to stare at me for a minute. I felt awkward and embarrassed, I should never have said something.

"Pickle?"

"Leave me the hell alone, okay? I should never have said anything, I knew you guys would act like this. This is all my fault, okay? What Papa did to Trina, this whole situation, this is all my fault. Dad and Papa would've never broken up if they didn't adopt me!"

Emma and Charlotte looked to each other and Cordelia stared straight at me. I'm not sure what all the stares were for, I was telling the truth.

"Dylan..."

"No. Don't talk to me. Don't give me any pity or false hope. I'm done." I said, running to my room and grabbing the bag I took over to Charlotte and Cordelia's.

I grabbed the bag, my phone, an extra sweatshirt, and ran.

I needed to get away from this neighborhood.