Unlikely Lovers

Dylan

"When was the last time we've been to school?" Emma asked me, holding my hand while we were on the bus on the way to our new school.

"Do you mean the last time we were in an actual school building, or the last time we got an education? Cause you do know we've been educated all our lives, right?" I asked my sister. Emma shrugged and said, "The last time we were in an actual school building, silly."

"Pre-K. Remember, Mom and Dad died when we were four, before we could start kindergarten." I said. "It's weird to think that we haven't been to school in over ten years, and now we're starting in a high school."

"I'm kind of nervous. What if we don't fit in? What if people don't like us? What if-"

"Calm down, Em, it's gonna be fine. You'll make some friends, I know it." I said. Emma nodded and then the bus screeched to a stop in front of a brick building.

"That must be our school. Come on, Emma, let's go."

________

"You lost?" I heard someone say as I aimlessly wandered the hall, looking for my science classroom. I turned around and there stood a boy with bright blue hair and about a million piercings.

"Yeah, I kinda am. New student." I said. The boy laughed and said, "My name is Caleb. What class are you going to? I can help you find it."

I took a look at my schedule and squinted. "Science? Room...218. It's kinda stupid, but I can't find the stairs."

Caleb laughed. "They're kinda hard to find, don't worry. A lot of kids say that. At the end of every hallway." I nodded and said, "I'm Dylan."

Caleb bit his lip a little. Oh my God. Caleb was cute.

"Oh! Also, if you're interested, the People of Color Club is meeting today at lunch. I'm the President of the student council, so I know about all the clubs. See you later?"

"Bye." I said, trying to hide the fact I was blushing a little.

___________

"Em?"

"Dylan! Who told you about the club?" Emma asked, getting up and walking towards me. I smiled and said, "This boy named Caleb. President of the student council, apparently." I lowered my voice to a whisper and said, "He's kinda cute."

"Oooh! My brother has a crush!" Emma said. I slapped her and said, "Talk quieter, would you?"

"Caleb Rahman, huh?" a Korean girl said, kicking her feet. "I think everyone in this school has a crush on Caleb."

"I'm a lesbian!" a girl with vitiligo said from the corner.

"Niki, hush." I couldn't help but notice Emma sneak a glance at this Niki character. Niki smiled back at Emma and Emma squealed a little.

"Should I go talk to her?" Emma asked me. Before either of us could do anything, Niki tapped Emma on the shoulder.

"I'm Niki Sharma, they/them. And you?"

"Uh...I...um...crap. Emma Brown, he...gah! She/they." Emma said.

"Somethings up with you. You have a crush, and I know exactly who it's on."

"Uh..."

"You like Evelyn Song, huh? Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. Too bad she's as straight as a yardstick."

"I...yeah, too bad."

"You don't like Evelyn that way." I said once Niki was out of earshot.

"Not one bit."