Thrill of First Love

Emma

"I'm gonna tell him." Dylan said out of the blue at the bus stop, biting his lip. I was taken aback a little and said, "Who?"

"You dummy, you know who! Caleb! I'm telling Caleb I like him today! It can't be that hard, I'm just gonna use the advice Dad and Mendel gave me, and I should be just fine. Oh, Em! You should tell Niki you like them too!"

"Niki's gonna think I'm insane if I say anything. They still think I have a hopeless crush on Evelyn." I said. "Don't get me wrong, Evelyn's super pretty. Just not in that way."

The bus screeched to a stop in front of my house and Dylan and I got on the bus and sat down next to each other. I leaned my head on the bus window and listened to music for a little bit, and then the bus pulled up to the school and everyone got out.

"Students of Color Coalition meets today at lunch, you going?" Dylan asked. I sighed and said, "I might skip it today. I have a test."

"Fair enough. When are you gonna tell Niki?"

"At the very last minute if I can help it. When are you gonna tell Caleb?" I asked.

"Sometime today. I hope, if I don't chicken out and this all goes well, Caleb's gonna know I like him today." Dylan said. I nodded and my brother and I started to head off to our first period classes.

Dylan and I were walking in silence until both Niki and Caleb came up to us at the exact same time.

"Hey Dylan, kid I don't know." Caleb said, waving. I laughed and said, "I'm Emma, but you can call me Em if you want. I'm Dylan's twin sister. Hey Niki!"

"Hi!" Niki said. I looked to Emma and winked, deciding I would go for it. Moment of truth.

"Hey Caleb?" I asked. Caleb looked at me and said, "Yeah?"

"There's something I need to tell you." I said.

"Do you want to tell me in private? We can go to the bathroom or something..." Caleb said. I sighed and said, "No, no, it's fine. I'm fine with telling you here, it's just...yeah. Fine."

"Then tell me!" Caleb laughed.

"Geez! Okay...so...I may like you. Like, like-like you."

Dead silence.

"Caleb?" Emma asked, in an obvious attempt to cheer me on and get rid of the awkwardness.

"Um...I'm gonna go..." Caleb said.

What on Earth was that all about?