Stop Asking Questions, Be Yourself!

Dylan

Emma was over at Charlotte and Cordelia's, probably to get advice on what to do with Niki. So I settled for the next best thing, calling Mendel.

"Mendel?"

"Who is this?"

"I- it's Dylan."

"Who?"

"Your freaking nephew."

"Jason?"

"The other one. And Jason's technically your son, what the hell is wrong with you?"

Mendel laughed on the other line. "Ah, Dylan! How are you?"

"Good, do you mind if I hop on my bike and come over there? I'm sure Dad won't mind." I said. "I just need advice, Papa's not home from work yet, and Dad's busy."

"I- sure?"

"Thanks! I'll be right there!"

______

"So, why are you here?"

"I have a crush." I said. "And so does my sister, but don't tell anyone."

"You don't...have a sister." Mendel said, confused. I groaned and said, "My twin, Emma. She also has a crush on someone. Just don't tell anyone I told you, though, cause she'll probably kill me if she finds out I spilled the beans."

"But what if I did spill the beans?" Mendel asked.

"I'd probably never talk to you again." I said firmly. Mendel shrugged and said, "Fair enough."

Dead silence.

"I- yeah this isn't working out." I said, getting up. "I'm going to see if...Dad can give me advice without embarrassing me to no end."

_________

"Dad! I'm home!"

"Dylan! Where were you?" Whizzer asked. I sighed and said, "Mendel's. I think Em's next door. And since Em and Papa aren't home, can I talk to you?"

"Sure, Dylan, what's up?"

"I have a crush." I said. "His name is Caleb and he's the sweetest, kindest, funniest guy I've ever met in my life. And I've never really experienced a real crush before, but do I have a crush if I can never stop staring at him at school and I start squealing when he waves at me in the hallway and I can't stop imagining our wedding?"

"Yeah, you definitely have a crush. Do you want some advice?"

"Yeah, I kinda do..." I said softly. Dad laughed and said, "Well, my advice is to take things slowly. You just started at that school today, you barely know the dude. Wait a few days, get to know him a little bit more and make sure he's not a bad person, and then tell him how you feel. Also, make sure he...actually likes men and is single before you do anything. There's nothing more awkward than confessing your love to a straight boy."

"Thanks Dad." I said, and then Emma ran through the door. "Hey Dad, Pickle! What's all the chit-chatter?"

"Hi Emma!" Whizzer said. I glared at my sister and then said, "I'm just talking to Dad about something."

"Oh, is it romance?" Emma said, getting in my face. I pushed her away and said, "And what if it was? It doesn't really matter that much!"

"I know you have a crush, Pickle! You told me!" Emma said. "Fine. Dad, I have a crush too."

"Wow, both of my kids have a crush. And I just adopted you two!" Dad said. "Your Papa's gonna flip, you know that?"

"Yeah, we know, now I'm gonna call Caleb for 'homework help.'"