Chapter 14-Javier

It sounded absurd as the words left my mouth.This was the only solution I could come up with.I was cautious of Lilly now more than ever and I wasn’t sure I could entrust Lilly with someone else.Besides,as much as it pains me to say this,Lilly warmed up to Georgia in a very short while.Although I understand the circumstances why Lilly took a liking to her.With Willow in police custody and Harres still issuing a date with the judge,things would be hectic and I needed someone by Lilly’s side and leaving her with my mother was not an option anymore.

I looked at Georgia and she seemed at a loss for words.Ultimately,this would’ve shocked me too if I were in her shoes.I was aware that I have been an arrogant arse from the very beginning since we met and I wouldn’t be surprised if she refused immediately.But I was desperate for her help and at this rate,I would pay any sum.

“Why are you asking me this?I am just a stranger you met a few days ago,”she said seriously.I leaned closer to her over the table and shook my head.

“Not just a few days ago actually,”she would clearly know what I meant by it.I was sure we both remembered that night.She looked at me with wide eyes and was about to say something when a waitress came to our table.

“What would you like to order?”she looked at Georgia first but she was still gawking at me.That might have taken her by surprise.

“Um-the sweet croissant with fruits on the side and an apple juice please,”she said hurriedly and looked at the waitress for a while.

“I’m sorry but do you have painkillers?I left mine at home and it’s time for me to take them.I will pay for them too,”she said and I looked at her,somewhat concerned.After all it was because she saved my daughter that she was like this.This just made me feel way more guilty because of my attitude towards her.

“I think I have some in my purse and It’s no problem,really,”the waitress said and Georgia looked at her in gratitude.

“Thank you so much,”the waitress smiled and looked at me for my order.

“What would you like sir?”she asked with the notepad in her hand.

“Mr.Black,was it?”she asked when her eyes lit up with recognition.

“Ah yes.I would like the Espresso and a slice of your vanilla cheesecake,”I said and she jotted it down.I looked towards Georgia and she still looked flustered.

“If you didn’t feel well you could’ve told me and we could have rescheduled,”I told her seriously and she glanced up at me.

“It’s not that bad it’s just the time has passed since I had to take them so now it’s a little sore.Nothing I can’t handle though,”she shrugged it off.

“I apologize for dragging you out here as soon as you were released from the hospital,”she looked at me for a while before chuckling.

“Oh,so you actually know how to apologize?”she joked and I smirked.

“Okay but back to the deal.Will you do it?”she looked conflicted and put her finger on her chin in thought.

“I don’t think I will be able to.I have a café to run,”I eyebrows shot up and I leaned back.

“You own a café?”I asked and she nodded.Well,I didn’t expect that.This woman was just full of surprises.

“You’re seriously going to tell me that you don’t remember coming to my café?”she laughed loudly and I tilt my head to the side.As if what she said triggered it,memories of me going to a downtown café washed over me in which I also remembered being anything but decent to the person who didn’t hesitate to save my daughter’s life.

“You probably hate me a lot,huh?”I let out a sigh,suddenly feeling foolish to have even considered the idea of making this selfish deal with her.

“You have no idea,”she said and laughed.She was a strange creature.One you would do numerous experiments on and still end up with little to no results.

“If you don’t mind,can I make you another offer?And if you have no interest at the very end,I’ll stop.Deal?”she picked at her nails before nodding.I let out a sigh of relief and leaned forward.She looked startled and leaned back,flustered.I looked at her for a while,her flushed face reminding me of that one night.I  kept staring at her face and she looked up and met my eyes.

“Sorry for the delay,here is your order,”my eyes snapped up and out of the trance I was in as the food was placed infront of us by the same waitress that served us.

“Oh t-thank you,”Georgia said and tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Oh,and here is the painkillers.I only had two though,”she said and handed her the pills.Georgia thanked her over and over and the waitress then walked off.

“This looks so good,”Georgia said and began digging in.I noticed her apple juice and picked up my Espresso and took a sip.

“You’re not a fan of coffee?”I asked and nodded to her apple juice.She looked up from scarfing down her food and wiped her mouth with a napkin.

“Oh no,I love coffee actually,”she said and I quirked an eyebrow.

“Then why not have it,if you love it so much?”she looked at me for a while before answering.

“I just can’t have it for a while because of my health,”she said and I nodded slowly. 

“Well,let’s get to business then,”I said and ate a little of the cheesecake.

“So,let’s say I do accept and take care for Lilly,where would I look after her?What will happen to my job?What will my compensation be?”she asked and I sat the fork down.

“You would come live with us in the penthouse for the timer being.Your work would be on temporary close as you would be earning more than triple you earn a month in a weeks time.Or you can choose the price,it doesn’t really matter.I just really need your help with this and I deeply apologize for being such an arse to you,”I said sincerely and looked at her.She had a look of contemplation on her petite face as she stared out of the window.

“Don’t you have anyone else that Lilly is familiar with?Surely,I am not fit to look after her when I have my own-”she looked at me startled and I stared at her with confusion on my face.

“Excuse me?”I asked and she shook her head.

“Okay,I accept,”