A week later....

The next weekend Erica and Eleanor were spending the weekend together. They spent the next hour trying to get Erica to do what she was learning in math better. After an hour of working, they decided to rest and just hang out.
"So...Do you have a boyfriend?" Erica asked.
"I'm afraid not. I haven't had a boyfriend since this past summer."
"What happened?"
"He cheated on me with my ex-best friend."
"Ouch."
"Yeah. I'm over it though."
"Well who was it?"
Eleanor took a deep breath and said, "Do you know a 7th grader named Luke?"
"Luke Presley?"
"Yeah. It was his brother."
"How old is his brother?"
"He's in 9th grade now."
"Wow...No wonder."
"Yeah I was an idiot, but I'm ready to move on from him. I haven't found anyone that wants to be with a geek, though."
"You're not a geek just because you're smart. I'm surprised you don't have a bunch of guys fighting over you."
She shrugged. "You seem pretty happy with Liam."
"Yeah...I am. He's more than my boyfriend. He's been my best friend since 4th grade," Erica said, smiling.
"Wow. I noticed that he doesn't sound...American."
"Yeah...He's originally from England."
"Oh... Wow. I never met someone from England before."
"Me either...Until 4th grade" Erica said, laughing a little.
"What is Liam doing now since I'm here instead of him?"
"I think he's with the football team."
"He's on the football team?"
"Yeah... Well, technically basketball. I forgot that football ended before Christmas. Anyways, after he accepted the fact that we call football the way we do, he decided to try it out, and he was great at it."
"That's cool. Do you go to any of the games?"
"Yeah. Every one, but I don't go to the practices with him, though."
"I wouldn't either. They're not that interesting."
"Agreed. Did you ever have a boyfriend in football or basketball?"
"No, but I go to the games because of one of my...friends," Eleanor said. Erica looked at her, and she could tell that Eleanor was hiding something.
"Friends? Guy friends or girl friends?"
"Well...um..Some of my friends that are girls go for their boyfriends, but there might be someone on the football and basketball team I like."
"No way! That's awesome...8th grade right?"
"Yes...Yes, 8th grade," she said, sighing.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing it's just... This guy that's on the football and basketball team...He could never like me."
"Why not?"
"He's not into the type of girls that are smarter than everyone else. I heard that he thinks girls like me are boring."
"But you said there's more to you than your intelligence."
"There is!...But..."
"Are you scared that he won't like you?"
"I don't know..."
"Is he one of the top basketball and football players?"
"Yeah...Sorta. All the girls like him."
"You go to those games because of him? Does he notice you're there?"
"Yeah...He'll always smile and say, "Look, the smart girl is here."" "I don't know whether to accept that as a compliment or something else that's the opposite."
"Interesting..."
"Yeah...Interesting."
"Well...Maybe Liam can talk to him."
"What do you mean?"
"Liam's pretty cool with all the football and basketball players, so maybe he would talk to this guy for you."
"He doesn't know him."
"Well I don't know. What's his name?"
"Ryan Zam".
"Hm...I'll have to see, but he should like you. You're pretty, cool, funny, smart..."
"Thanks, but I don't know if that's his type."
"What is his type then?"
"Popular and pretty."
"You have lots of friends."
"Yeah, but that's not enough. I'm not pretty like his girlfriend."
"He has a girlfriend? You didn't mention that!"
"There's nothing to say about it."
"What's his girlfriend like?"
"She has long black hair, same height as me, is on the cheerleader squad, -according to the guys-has a perfect figure, has no acne at all, always wears too much makeup and likes to wear shorts and skirts that are a little too short," Eleanor explained.
"Wow. That's...wow. She doesn't sound too fun."
"I don't know, but all I know is how will he like me with someone like that?"
"You don't have to be on the cheerleader squad to get him."
"I know, but....It's useless."
"No it's not. How bout' this? I'll go with you to their next game. I'm going to be going for Liam anyways."
Eleanor laughed. "Thanks, but it's not that important."
"Nonsense. I'm going."
"OK. If you want to."
"I wasn't asking for your permission," Erica said, laughing.
Eleanor laughed too and stood up. "I have to head home, but if you need any more help with math...Let me know."
"Okay...See you at school."
"You too," Eleanor said, shutting the door behind her. As Erica watched her walked down the sidewalk, farther away, she called Liam. He picked up within the first ring.
"Hello?"
"Hey Liam. Eleanor left."
"How did the tutoring go."
"Come over, and I'll tell you about it."
"Don't have to tell me twice."