The Apology

Eleanor was walking out of class, and she was heading to her locker. She started to put a couple books away as she felt someone walk up to her. She looked behind her locker and standing before her was Ryan. She gulped and cleared her throat.
"Can I help you?"
"Maybe." He ran his fingers through his messy brown hair. "Were you apart of that scene at the end of our game yesterday?"
"Of course not. I didn't even know what was going on."
"Are you sure? You seemed pretty interested in the whole thing," he said, smiling.
"Who wouldn't be? That was tense."
"It was just some guy telling this girl to leave him alone."
"Because she's a jerk to Erica."
"Yeah. Who is 'Erica'? Is she dating that Liam guy on the basketball team?"
"Yeah."
"Oh, lucky guy."
"Yep." Eleanor's mood changed from nervous to sad. She grabbed her phone and shut her locker, and she practically ran to the lunch room. She didn't look back. She wasn't ready to deal with Ryan talking about Erica. Everyone was better than her. Everybody.

***

Erica and Liam walked into Science class and Briana wasn't there. She must be running late, Erica thought as she sat down. Soon class was over and Briana had never shown up. Erica started to feel a little bad. "I hope I didn't make her change classes," she said out loud.
"Don't worry about it," Liam said as they walked together to their next class.
"Do you think something happened to her?"
"Probably not. She probably just can't show her face since we embarrassed her so bad yesterday."
"I feel really bad."
"You shouldn't."
"Shouldn't I? That thing was mostly my fault."
"Not really... It was mostly mine."
"Yeah, but if I hadn't..."
"Erica...What happened to her was all her fault. Yeah, Taylor and I embarrassed her, but she did that to herself. She should've seen it coming. It's karma."
Erica shrugged and heard laughing behind her. She turned around and saw Briana walking through the hall to her locker. She practically hid her face in the locker. Erica felt a tear run down her cheek and she hid her face in Liam's chest. Liam put his arms around Erica's waist and led her to class. "It's OK," he whispered to her as they sat down.
"This is horrible."
"It's fine. Don't feel bad."
Erica wiped her eyes as the teacher walked into the room and began giving instruction.

***

"Hey. Wait up," Eleanor heard someone call behind her. She turned around and groaned when she saw Ryan.
"What do you want?" she snapped.
"Hey. Calm down. I just wanted to catch up."
"For what?"
"I wanted to make sure you were okay."
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"You seemed pretty upset at lunch."
"How would you know that? I was way across the room."
"I have good eyesight."
"You were watching me?"
"Yeah..."
"That's not creepy."
"Like you haven't stared at me before."
"I haven't."
"You're a liar."
"Am I?"
"Yeah you are."
"Whatever Ryan."
"You're in denial."
"What are you talking about?"
"I know you like me."
"Why do you say that?"
"Come on. Don't play stupid. You look at me when I walk into school, when I leave, you come to my games, you get angry when my ex-girlfriend is around."
"Ex?"
"See? You even paid attention to that part," he said, smirking.
"I just said that because she's so attached to you. I'm surprised she agreed to leave."
"I'm the one that broke the relationship."
"Why would you do that? Everyone thinks your ex-girlfriend is perfect."
"She might've had good looks, but she's not perfect."
"Whatever you say," she said, attempting to walk away. But, Ryan kept following her.
"Seriously. I don't know why I ever went out with her."
"Why are you telling me this?" Eleanor said, turning around, whipping her hair around her shoulders.
"I think it's the right thing to do to let my future girlfriend know I'm single."
"You're not talking to your future girlfriend."
"Why not?"
"You wouldn't date a geek like me."
"Of course I would...Not that you're a geek, but..."
"I get it."
"OK. So...?"
"So what?"
"Will you go out with me?"
Is he serious? He can't be serious. I'm not his type. I'm not pretty....
"Stop hesitating, and just say yes," he said, smiling.
"Is it that easy?"
"Yes."
"Then yes."
"There you go. Good job," he said, smirking.
Eleanor shoved him and laughed as she walked into her class. That did not just happen...

***

It was after school and Erica was waiting with Liam for the bus. She kept thinking about Briana and how crushed she is right now. I feel really bad...
"Hey," someone said, sitting next to Erica. Erica turned and saw it was Briana.
"Briana...?"
"Yeah...It's the jerk."
"I...I'm sorry."
"For what? You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm the one that needs to say sorry. I treated you awful. I poured milk all over you. I made you miserable. I got what I deserved. I lost the greatest thing I thought I had. I guess that's what happens. Karma..."
"Briana. I didn't know that was going to happen. I had no say in that."
"It doesn't matter. I deserved it. I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry, and I should've never treated you like I did."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome. I guess Liam can cause some problems."
"What do you mean?"
"Liam was the cause of this whole thing between us."
"Why?"
"Well... I like Liam. Well, I liked him in 6th grade, but he had his eyes on you. I guess, I got really mad. I thought only I should have him. Anyways...Long story short, you got him. I didn't. I hated you for it," she said, shrugging.
"Oh...Well, I'm sorry."
"It's fine. It is what it is. I thought I could have Ted and be happy, but that never happened."
"Plenty fish in the sea."
"Yeah, I guess. Well, I have to go," she said, walking away.
Erica was shocked but pleased. All this happened because of my best friend. Funny... Soon after, Liam walked up behind her, and she told him everything that Briana just said.
"I guess I'm too irresistible for everyone," Liam said.
"You keep telling yourself that."
"Hey, I got my best friend, and I have a back up."
"You're funny," she said, glaring at him.
Liam laughed and walked with Erica to the bus. "Are things good between you two, then?" he asked as they sat down.
"I guess. We're probably not friends, but we're friendly strangers."
Liam nodded and shrugged. "That's something."
"Yeah, I know."
"Don't think too much about it."
"I won't. I'm satisfied."
"Good. I think," Liam said, laughing.
Erica smiled, watching him laugh and thought how cute he was. I'm glad I never lost him to Briana. I don't know what I would've done if I lost him. He's my everything.