~ Chapter 5 ~

I woke up this morning with Rumlow holding me between his arms. He had come over and...    decided to stay the night. I try to carefully slither away, removing his arms and sitting on the edge of the bed. I reach for my robe on the bathroom door and cover myself.

As I'm about to get up and get ready, I feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me back down into bed. I let out a soft giggle as I'm pulled onto Rumlow's chest.

"Good morning," I laugh at the incoherent mumble I recieve back. I draw circles on his back as he nestles his head in my neck. I try to pull away but his grip tightens.

"Baby," I softly whisper. He stirs a bit, but doesn't release his grip. I try two more times to no avail. The third time him covers my mouth with his finger.

"I'm trying to sleep, babe girl," Rumlow mumbles. There is extra bass in his voice. I let out a small giggle. Eventually he let's me go (apparently squirming was too much to bare), and I began to get ready for the day.

After getting ready, I spot Rumlow getting out of bed. It was still fairly early, seeing as the sky was just lightening. He sighed and rubbed his nape.

"Can't you stay a little longer? We could do something before you go," he opens his arms, showing off. I smirk and walk over to him, dragging my finger along his collarbone.

"As tempting as that is, I've got a busy day ahead of me and so do you." I give him a peck on the cheek as he sighs. I grab my things and head towards the door.

"Be sure to lock up when you leave. Love you," I call out to him but get no response. I hear him mumble something under his breath as I leave.

I wonder what he said as I drive to work. He seems troubled, annoyed even.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was busier than usual at headquarters. My schedule was booked with meetings and proposals. As I arrived to my third meeting to discuss the Avengers Initiative proposal and Tesseract management, I saw Rumlow in his S.T.R.I.K.E. uniform talking to an official outside the room's door.

We walk straight past each other, without exchanging Hello's or looks. At work and social situations, Rumlow and I stay as far away from each other as possible. When we do interact it is strictly business. I wish it weren't that way. It's hard to spend 3 years together and only showing your feelings for one another at home. We don't even go on dates anymore in fear of "being seen together." We only spend time with each other about 3 times a week.

When we meet at work like this it makes me wonder what our relationship really is. It seems that acting like complete strangers in public is so easy for him that it might've been like that from the beginning.

I've brought it up a few times to him, but he's always quick to brush me off or change the subject. He always seems angry when I press him for answers as to why we have to stay secretive. Everytime he grows angrier at my persistence, so I've learned to just leave things alone, and since I've taken this approach we haven't fought in a few weeks.

As much as it pains me to see him act so distant towards me in public, I put up with it for his sake. I don't want to argue again...

"It'll only complicate things."

"Why do you keep asking about it? Just drop it already."

"Y/n I'm not in the mood to hear this again! I said NO! God!"

"I'm going back to my place if you insist on being a bitch about this."

I sit in my seat and get my computer ready. My eyes meet with Rumlow's as he walks away. Not so much as a smile on his face or flicker of joy in his eyes.