~ Chapter 43 ~

Back in the safe house, Maria hands me a spare uniform which I slide over my figure. I run my fingers over my sides and find two zippers on my thighs. I try to zip them up but they get stuck halfway. I look into one of the glass panels.

My figure has gotten more built in the past few days, seeing as Rumlow has kept me in the house all the time I chose to workout to pass the time. My nicest slightly bulged from the skin tight suit and my hip dips were overshadowed by my rear.

However, this sudden increase in muscle mass can't all be due to my short workouts... it's too immediate.

I let out a short sigh and decide to just leave the zippers alone, it looked kinda cute anyways. My watch beeped as the signal from Natasha was turned off. She was going to infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D while we worked through the levels.

"Y/n," Sam called. He had put on his glider and harnesses, his goggles were resting on top of his head. His eyes did a quick look over my figure before I cleared my throat.

"Did Steve get it?" I ask.

"Why don't you see for yourself, team's leaving in a few." I nod and follow him out of the safe house and find Maria and Steve waiting for us.

"Gotta say," I chuckle and Steve turns around to face me. He's wearing the uniform I'd always seen in the Smithsonian museum. Dusted white star and muddy stripes. Worn and torn. A uniform fit for a soldier.

I stand beside him and look him up and down in an obvious manner. "I kinda miss the spandex now," I smirk and Sam laughs.

Steve smiles but he's distracted as his eyes trail over me and linger at the open zippers revealing my hips.

"We like your new suit too," Sam snickers as Steve quickly shot up and gives him a look.

"Well," I said. "This is your mission, Cap. Why don't ya lead the way?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sam, Steve, Maria, and I ascend the stairs and get to the system control room. I lead the way with Maria by my side because we've been here the longest. This place was as familiar as our own houses.

And I think that's what's getting to me. I've been with S.H.I.E.L.D for so long, trying to make a difference, trying to keep my word to Coby. But it turns out I was just feeding the same flame I was trying to put out.

I get on my watch and pull up holograms of S.H.I.E.L.D's system using Maria's access code, which still works. I get into the headsets and transmit a lowered dog whistle, low enough for dogs not to care but high enough to give you a splitting headache.

We hear voices behind to door before it opens, revealing both Sam and Maria aiming their weapons with me and Steve between them. The boy that answered it looked at us in shock.

"How's it going?" I ask as Steve excuses us inside the control room. I walk towards the computers as Steve makes his way towards the PA system.

"Their preping for launch, you guys," I mumble as I look at the screens. "Nothing I can do from here."

Steve nods and turns the PA system on.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D agents, this is Steve Rogers," he starts, getting ready to rip the band aid off of this ugly wound. Sam and Maria have evacuated the personnel from the room.

"But I think it's time you know the truth." Steve pauses and glances over to me. I smile and nod, getting up from my seat at the desks and slowly walking to his side.

"S.H.I.E.L.D is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E and Insight crew are HYDRA as well."

I watch as Steve grits his teeth at the mention of the S.T.R.I.K.E team.

"They almost have what they want, absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. They have hurt others important to me. And it won't end there.

"If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high. It's always been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay.

"And if I'm the only one then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Steve steps away from the mic and Sam teases him about his little speech.

Steve looks to me as I turn the PA system back on, I have a few words of my own to say.

"Pierce, HYDRA, or whoever is trying to cut me off and control me; I am not your puppet. I am not your toy. And I definitely not your Golden Warrior. Yeah, had a friend translate your little riddle for me. I know there are some good people here just following orders, but if you get in my way I will gladly move you myself."

"D---," I hear Sam whisper behind me and I can feel Steve's eyes watching.

"And one more thing; Brock Rumlow, if you see me knocking the f---- out yo a---, you'd better savor it. It'll be the last you ever see of me. Go eat sh-- you abusive little b-----." I turn the PA system off and let out a big huff.

"That felt good," I say and turn around to the others. Maria is giving me her proud smile and Sam is shocked.

"Abuser?" He mumbles and I shrug my shoulders.

"That's my girl," Steve grins at me. One of the computers go off and Maria rushes to see the issue.

"They're initiating launch," she informs. "The cameras caught your Ex overriding the system."

"D---- you, Rumlow," I mumble and head to the door. "Maria, you--"

"I've got this. You go."

"No." We all turn to Steve. "Y/n you stay here with Agent Hill. Sam and I will--" I cut him off with a slap across the face.

"Oh!" Sam gasps. "That's the spank I'd get from my momma, Jesus!"

"Sorry, just a lot of pent up anger," I apologize as the spot on Steve's face turns red. "I'm just tired of dudes trying to boss me around today. Plus, I'm incharge of you so I say I'm going."

Steve sighs. "Y/n, please just stay close."

"I've got it, Steve."

'I know you do, but I don't have you. I can't lose you to HYDRA either...' I hear Steve's thoughts flood my mind and an earsplitting pain following it. I clench my jaw and conceal it.

Did I just read Steve's mind...?

"Y/n, you good?" Sam asks and I twirl my piece in my hands and nod.

"Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Preview~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why are you calling her golden?"