~ Chapter 20 ~

Fair warning!! The subject of racism is shown in this chapter!!

Rumlow was dressed in a black muscle tee and red shorts. They didn't fit Rumlow as well as they would Steve. His hair was messily thrown over his head and brows, as if he'd just got out of bed but it was only 2:45pm.

He looked at Steve and I, both coveted in bruises and bandages. He glared at Steve for a while before grabbing my arm and pulling me to his side towards the door. I turned around awkwardly to Steve, who looked not only shocked but concerned.

"Well, y/n," Steve took his hands out of his pockets to wave bye to me. "I hope you get some good rest. And if you need to talk about anything I'd be happy to help." Rumlow glared at Steve the entire time he was talking, squeezing my arm tighter and tighter. It hurt. Seeing my face, Steve decided to wrap things up, though I could tell he wanted to stay.

"Just let me know if you need anything, kay?"

"Thank yo--"

"She can talk to me about that kind of stuff." Rumlow interrupted as he removed his hand from my now red arm, and slung it around my waist in an obvious manner. He pulled me closer as he looked at Steve while pressing his lips onto mine. I tried to pull away, not wanting Steve to see this, but Rumlow wouldn't let me until he finished proving his point.

Steve looked at me awkwardly when Rumlow released me. He smiled, said bye again, and walked down the hall. I walked inside with Rumlow following close behind me.

Maybe he was just worried, and actually wanted to show it?

I looked back at Rumlow. He was practically fuming.

Or maybe I pissed him off and he just wanted to piss me off too. If that was the plan, it sure worked.

Rumlow walked up to me, rubbing his temples before slamming his hands on the kitchen table. He slowly pointed towards the door.

"What was that?" He growled.

"Steve was just making sure I got home safely after all that's happened the past few days. I wasn't home yesterday because S.H.I.E.L.D. let me stay the night last night to recover."

"Did your phone die or something after you hung up on me mid sentence?" He was getting heated and I could feel both my fear and frustration rising. "Because I know that you saw all of my missed calls and texts. And I know for a fact that you heard what I was telling you about staying away from people like STEVE ROGERS!"

Rule #38 Don't talk back to Rumlow

I silently took the blows as Rumlow told me to stay away from the Avengers, or those "freaks of nature" as he called them.

Rule #38 Don't talk back to Rumlow

"I don't want you on the front lines! You could get hurt or worse! Then what am I gonna do?! I can't risk losing someone as valuable as you!" Rumlow screamed and screamed.

Rule #38 Don't talk back to Rumlow

"I mean, COME ON! Is it THAT HARD to listen to me!! You could've came home the SECOND things got worse but you stayed for DAYS without telling em ANYTHING!!"

Rule #38 Don't talk back to Rumlow

"You act like you're a dumbasd and can't DO ANYTHING RIGHT!! WHY DO I EVEN PUT UP WITH THIS??!!"

Rule #38 Don't talk back to-- Fuck it!!

I look up to Rumlow and burn Rule 38 to ashes. I've had enough. I don't let him speak, it's my turn.

"You don't know why you're putting up with me? I DONT KNOW WHY IM STILL HERE WITH YOU, BLESSING YOU WITH MY FINE, CAPABLE, AMAZING SELF WHEN YOU TREAT ME LIKE DOG SHIT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!"

I lash out, causing him to step back. I don't get angry often, but when I do it's like staring a blood thirsty jaguar in the eyes. And Rumlow is a quivering hunter, who thought he was well matched. Think again.

"I HAVE BEEN WORKING HARD FOR DAYS AND DAYS AND INSTEAD OF ENCOURAGING OR PRAISING ME YOU'RE TREATING ME LIKE IM INCOMPETENT!! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TREAT ME SO HORRIBLY AND EXPECT ME TO TREAT YOU LIKE A DAMN GOD! I AM DONE WITH THIS!"

I grab my phone and head towards to door. I feel such a large weight being lifted off of my shoulders. Then I hear footsteps. A sharp inhale. And feel a fist slam right into the back of my head.

A punch. A kick. The head. The stomach. Rumlow beats me as I'm thrown to the ground. I can feel my bruises worsen, turning from blue, to purple, to black. My cuts and wounds reopen and he stomps my swollen ankle. I cry out from the excruciating pain.

Why couldn't I get up? Get up! You fought fucking aliens a few days ago and now you can't even defend yourself!

"I told you," Rumlow pants and looks down at my pathetic self covering my head, laying in a fetal position. "It would be a replay of last time. Get up."

I don't want to. I get up anyway, my body not listening to me. As if I'm being controlled...

Rumlow looks me over, his fists still clenched.

"This is because Steve Rogers gave you all that attention while you were gone, isn't it?"

I looked up at him with watery eyes. He wasn't finished, and continued to spit his venom at me.

"You need to stay in your place. No one will take care of you like I have! Let alone someone from the 1940s!!"

I stared at the floor. What he said next was terrible.

"You are a black woman. Do you really think he'll respect a n***a like you?!"

It wasn't the first time he's said something like that or used that word against me, but each time still hurt like the first. He sighed and walked out of the kitchen to the office room, slamming the door. I shakily got up and went to the bathroom, laid in the tub, and let the tears silently and carefully flowing into the tub.

As Steve left the hallway, something in his gut told him to go back. But as he did, he heard loud voices, thuds, and a racial slur.

If this chapter is offensive to anyone let me know immediately and I will change it!!