seven

The next day I'm woken up by Charlie knocking at my door. "Gotta get up, kid. Just cause Bella isn't here doesn't mean you can skip school again." I get dressed, grabbing my bag, and walking out. "Need a ride?" He asks. "I'll drive," I say, walking out the door. My phone rings as I'm driving. "Hello?" "Good morning to you too." I hear Embry laugh through the phone. "Hey." "What're you doing up so early?" He asks. "I have school." "Again?" I laugh. "Yes, Embry, it's an everyday thing." "Oh yeah." I giggle, turning into the parking lot. "I love that." "Love what?" "Your laugh."

My face goes red as I shut my truck off, sitting still for a moment longer. "You have to go, don't you?" He asks, his voice sounding slightly upset. "Unfortunately." "Stay away from Derek." He states quickly, I hear him growl after saying his name. "Yessir." I smile, it quickly drops at the person walking over. "I've gotta go." "Be careful." He says as I hang up. Derek yanks my door open, smiling at me but it looks menacing. "Good morning, beautiful." "I have a boyfriend," I state, praying Embry doesn't mind me using him as a scapegoat. "Oh, yeah, the imaginary boyfriend." He says.

"Excuse me?" "I asked around. That dude? Just a friend." He smirks, grabbing my wrist again making me wince. "Let's get to class, sweetheart." He drops his arm around my shoulder, rubbing his hand up and down my arm. "Derek, I don't like you." He grabs my jaw, making me face him. "Ridiculous. I see the way you look at me." "Like a person?" He growls. "I have to go to the restroom," I say quickly, pulling myself out of his grasp. I hide in the bathroom until the bell rings and as soon as it does I rush out, running to my truck and immediately driving to the rez. "Emily?"

"In here!" She calls from the living room. Embry comes out, sniffing around me. "You went around Derek when I specifically told you not to?" He growls. "No, Embry, listen to me, this guy won't leave me alone," I say, my fingers curling in the shirt he's wearing, my hands shaking thinking about Derek and the way he bruises me in seconds. "He's marking you," Sam says, Emily following him. "Let me guess, he wrapped his arm around you, practically rubbed his jacket against yours?" I nod quickly. Embry growls, wrapping his arms around me tightly, pulling me to his chest.

"I'm gonna talk to your dad about you switching schools," Sam says, quickly reaching for his phone. "It's not safe for you to be there." "How is he bruising me so quickly?" I ask. "Do you remember the story I told you? The enemies?" Embry says slowly as if trying not to upset me. "You're kidding." "No. I can smell it all over you. It's like you yourself are one." He almost seethes, his voice hard. "I'm sorry." "You're apologizing for his actions?" He laughs slightly. "I should've tried harder to avoid him." "How did he approach you?" Sam asks, his phone brought down from his ear.

"Today?" He nods. "He yanked my truck door open and pulled me out," Embry growls, it's terrifying. Sam tells whoever he's on the phone with exactly what I said as Embry's grip tightens. Jared and Paul walk in, both freezing when they see the scene in front of them. "Is the little Swan okay?" Jared asks. "There's a leech that's marking her." Embry huffs. "I thought I smelled one," Paul growls, his arms crossing over his chest as he straightens up. "What's his full name?" Sam asks. "I don't know, I barely know the dude. His name is Derek, he's got long black hair." I shrug.

Embry pulls me to the table, sitting me in his lap. "Oh, and he's got these freaky golden eyes," I say quickly. Sam nods and Embry sighs. "Baby, those eyes mean he's a vampire." He says. While I should've been nervous all I could think about was him calling me baby. My face goes red as I look down. Paul laughs, pointing at me. "She got all embarrassed." He laughs more as Embry lifts my chin, smirking. "Guys, focus." Sam snaps, authority lacing his voice. Embry drops his hand, continuing to look at me. "Charlie says it would be best if you came to school on the rez," Sam says.

Embry smiles widely. "You get to go to school here!" "That means you have to go to school with me," I state. "What? No." He laughs. "Yes. I need someone I know at this school, I'm gonna be like the only-" "Paleface." Paul laughs loudly, pointing at me. Jared smacks the back of Paul's head. "She doesn't know what a paleface is." "You. You're a paleface." Paul clarifies. I nod, shrugging. "Why do I have to go to school?" "Because you need an education. Plus, you don't wanna leave me alone, right?" I up look through my eyelashes at Embry who bites his lip, immediately caving. "Fine."