ten

I'm woken up hours later by my phone ringing. I sigh, looking at the clock. Nine at night. "Hello?" I answer, my voice thick with sleep. "Hello again, beautiful." Embry says through the phone as I curl up again. "Why'd you wake me up?" I mumble. "I woke you up? I'm so sorry, I can let you go." "No, I'm okay, I wanna talk to you." I sit up, rubbing my eyes. "I'll only keep you up until eleven. Then you can go back to bed." He promises. "I can stay up late, it's only Saturday." I say, walking around my room, cleaning things up to keep my hands busy. "You finish all your homework?" He asks.

"No, I took a nap." "When did you go to bed?" I suck in a quick breath, exhaling slowly. "Noon?" I say it like a question. "You've been asleep all day?" He practically shouts. "I got tired." I mumble. It goes quiet for a moment, and then he says, "I like hearing your voice. Talk to me." "About what?" I laugh. "What was it like in Jacksonville? With your mom." I sigh. "The same way it is here." I mumble, messing with the ends of my hair as I sit on my bed again. "Really?" "Embry, he probably got the grounding idea from Renee." Someone knocks on my door. "I have to go." I quickly hang up.

I stand, opening my door after hiding my phone, seeing Charlie. "Yeah?" "I heard you on the phone, where's it at?" I shrug. "I wasn't." "Alexandria, I heard you." I bite my tongue, sighing. "Did Renee tell you to do this? Is that what's going on? Bella leaves while she's grounded and I can't even talk to a friend." "Renee has nothing to do with this." I groan, throwing my head back. "You want my phone so badly," I pause, grabbing it from under my pillow. "Take it." I throw it to the floor, watching it shatter before slamming my door in his face before walking back to my bed.

Embry is gonna scold me and I can see it now. All of Sunday I sit in my room, doing my homework and ignoring my laptop pinging with messages. Monday morning I wake up and get ready for school, quickly driving to Embry's. I honk the horn, waiting for him. He comes out almost immediately, grabbing my face when he gets in the truck. "I missed you. Why haven't you answered my messages?" He asks between kisses. "I broke my phone." I admit when I pull back. "On purpose?" "Maybe." I mutter. "Alexandria-" "It wasn't my fault." I quickly defend. "Whose fault was it?"

"Charlie's." "How?" I huff, going into detail about how it's Charlie's fault as I drive to the Clearwater's. "I'll be back." I say, jumping out and knocking on the door. I stand for a moment before it opens. "Oh! Alexandria, what a surprise!" Sue says, a smile on her face. "I'm here to pick Seth up." "He'll be out in just a moment." She closes the door, letting me go back to my truck. Soon enough Seth comes out, climbing into the middle when Embry lets him. "Thanks for coming to pick me up." He grins. "Of course, dude. You live too far away to be walking." I shrug, driving to the school.

Study hall comes up and I grab a pass for Seth to get him out of his study hall to sit in mine. "Hey, I'm here for Seth Clearwater." I hand the teacher the pass as Seth looks up at me, his face lighting up as he turns to his friends, whispering quickly. "Grab your things, Seth." The teacher says, handing the pass back. I smile at the kid, wrapping my around his shoulder and ruffling his hair. "This is permanent, you'll be meeting me at my study hall from now on to work on homework." I say, walking down the hallway with him. "I have to sit in a class with the upperclassmen?" He asks.

"I'll be here everyday. You'll be okay." I promise, walking into the classroom as every eye snaps up to us. I glare until they look away. At our table we immediately start getting to work. The bell rings not too long after. "What class do you have after?" We both hear a howl, knowing it's Sam I nod toward Seth as he takes off. This school doesn't care much if you stay. Embry sees me walking down the hall as he's rushing out. "I'll be back, be careful, don't leave until school's over." I nod quickly as he walks out. I bite my lip, sitting anxiously, class after class until the end of the day.

I walk out to my truck at the end of the day, sitting in my seat and realizing I can't text Embry. A knock on my window causes me to jump, my heart racing as the door gets yanked open. "Andria, calm down, it's me." Embry's voice quickly calms me as I wrap my arms around his neck, taking a deep breath. "You scared me!" I smack his shoulder when I pull away. He laughs as Seth crawls into the middle beside me. "We didn't mean to scare you." The young boy promises. "So what was happening?" I ask. "The redhead is back, she was on our land and Sam needed everyone."