sixteen

Today, I was told to stay at Emily's no matter what. The fight was happening today. That... army was coming. They kept calling it an army, kept saying lives lost. I've been worried sick all morning. Embry has kept assuring me things would be fine, that nobody would get hurt except the little army making its way across towns for us. I wasn't convinced. Something's gonna go wrong... I can feel it. Bella was supposed to stay here with me, but she chose to be closer to the battle. She, Edward, and Jacob are all at the top of a mountain, all three waiting it out.

After Embry and Sam left, Emily and I sat on the couch, curled into each other as the tv drones on in the background, neither of us paying attention to what's playing. We're both worried, both scared that we'll lose the people we love today because of what's happening. Hours later, the pack returns. Everyone but Sam, Paul, and Jake. I rush to Embry as soon as he walks in the door. He holds me to him before looking over at a pale Emily. "Sam's okay. Jake got hurt. They're taking him to Billy's, waiting on the doctor Cullen to get here." He assures her.

She lets out a breath of relief. "Can we go see him?" I ask, looking up at him. As soon as we step out, I'm yanked away from Embry, cold hands gripping me tightly. "God, I thought I'd never find you again. These mutts keep masking your scent." His familiar voice drips with venom. "Let her go." Embry snarls. The pack left Jake's side as soon as they smelled him but they weren't fast enough. "Cute! You all think you can protect her!" Derek laughs, his hands tightening on me, his red eyes flashing to my neck. My heart pounds in my ears, my hands shake, my legs almost give out beneath me.

Sam steps forward, glaring at the boy. Derek switches how he holds me, one hand tipping my head to the side, the other slinking around my waist. His lips graze my skin, a sob working its way up my throat. "One more step and you'll be dragging her carcass off your lands." He whispers, knowing they can hear him. "Now, I've got one teeny, tiny, simple offer. You let me have her, and I don't drain her in front of you." He shrugs, looking up to see that most of the pack has shifted, Embry stands tall, his muscles rippling. But thankfully, they had someone coming.

The doctor Cullen grabs the boy from behind, twisting his head until his neck cracks, and even more after. The limp body falls away from me before I run to Embry, dropping to my knees in front of him, my arms circling his neck as his erratic heartbeat calms me. Never had I thought the day would come where I would see Derek again. Emily carefully lifts me, bringing me inside and wrapping a blanket around my shaking shoulders before going to get clothes for the boys. Embry runs inside, picking me up, and holding me to him. "It's okay. I'm right here." He shushes.

Tears stream down my face as it hits me... I was almost lunch. Emily and the boys come in. "Is the little Swan okay?" Paul asks carefully. "She'll be all right." Embry answers quietly, gently setting me on my feet. "Let's go see Jake." Sam says, taking Emily's hand and walking her out the door. "Are you gonna be okay to go see Jake?" Embry asks. I nod. He lifts me, wrapping my legs around his waist, and walking out, following the pack. Embry walks us in just as Bella walks out. "Hey, bud. How ya doing?" Embry asks the boy stretched out and covered in sweat in bed.

"Hey." Jake smiles at us but it's weak, filled with pain. "You look like you hurt." I mention as Embry sets me down. "I do. Doc had to rebreak most of my body." Jake says, groaning when he moves. "Want me to get you anything?" I ask. "Actually, Embry, could you get me a water?" He asks softly. Embry nods, walking out after kissing my forehead. Jake pats the spot next to him after scooting over. I sit and he pulls me to lay down. I laugh, shoving his good shoulder. "Idiot." He laughs, nodding. "I am. I'm in love with a girl getting married." He says sullenly.

"You won't always be in love with her. You'll find your someone." I say, looking over at him, our eyes locking. His filled with tears. I pull him into my side, smoothing down his hair as his shoulders shake, his tears soaking my shoulder. "This may seem like the end of the world, but it's not." I promise, holding him tighter. He sniffles, pulling back. "I'm sorry, Al." He whispers. "For what?" I ask. "This." He presses his lips to mine just as his door opens. "Alexandria!" Embry shouts. I shove Jake away, glaring at him as I stand. "What, you can't be happy so you decide nobody else can be either?" I snarl at the boy as my hand flies out before I can stop it.