twelve

Jake turns around immediately, staring at me. "You said what to Embry?" "I meant it in a friendly way but it just came out!" My face goes red as I tell him. I notice Embry starting to walk over as we just sit here. "Jake, please, drive." I plead. Jake nods. "Will do." We drive in silence for a while before Bella turns to me. "What was the situation? It'll tell me what way he'll take it." She asks. "We were talking about the fact that I purposefully made him jealous with Quil and he told me I should've just talked to him instead of doing that. He said he wanted us to work because we work." I pause my rant.

"Not because we have to because of the imprint, but because he wants us to work," I say, wringing my hands. "And it just." I pause again. "Slipped out." "Oh," Bella says. "Oh what?" I whine. "He's gonna take that in a romantic way, you know that right?" She says, I drop my head into my hands, whining, "I didn't mean it that way!" "Didn't you?" Jake asks. My face goes red again. "I didn't mean it that way," I repeat, more to convince myself than anyone else. I sigh as my phone rings. I don't answer. We continue to drive in silence before Jake pulls up to the house.

"Don't worry, I'm sure things will be okay." He promises. I nod, setting my hand on his arm before walking inside. I walk into my room to find Embry sitting on my bed. I quickly start to back out of my room but he grabs my wrist, stopping me. "What did you tell me?" He asks. "Nothing. I said nothing. Let me go." His grip tightens and he pulls me closer. "Tell me." I go to pull myself away, trying to get myself out of his grasp. "Tell me." He repeats, his voice softer this time. "I didn't mean it," I mutter, afraid of scaring him off. His hands come up to either side of my face, pulling me closer again.

"Repeat it. Tell me." His eyes shine with an unreadable emotion as he stares down at me. "I love you," I whisper. His face breaks out in a massive grin. "Say it again." "Embry-" "Say it again." I can't help the smile forming on my face as I repeat it. His arms wrap around my waist and he holds me tightly to him. "I love you." He mutters as I grab his face. "What are we?" I ask, praying he'd ask me out now that we've said the biggest thing you could say to someone. "What do you want us to be?" He asks quietly. "I want us to be together," I say cautiously. He grins again and nods quickly.

"Alexandria Swan, do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" His question makes me smile widely, nodding. "Of course, dummy." He tackles me to the bed, laughing. "Don't call me a dummy, dummy." I laugh as he tickles me. My door opens and Charlie walks in. "I hoped it was okay I sent him up to wait, I can see now that it was." He forces down a smile as he looks at us. "Thank you, dad." I smile at him, pushing Embry off and sitting up. Charlie finally lets himself smile as he nods at me. "Sure thing, kid." He walks out, closing my door. Embry grabs my face, kissing me softly.

I pull back after a moment, grinning at him. "I love that." He says. "Love what?" "Your smile." He smirks when my face goes red. I lie back, looking over at Embry. He lies back, looking over at me as I drop my hand palm up between us. He drops his hand into mine, his thumb running over my knuckles every few seconds. Just as he's about to fall asleep he curls into my side, dropping his arm around my waist and his head onto my chest. I smile, running my fingers through his now shaggy hair with one hand as I wrap my other arm around him. "I hope you're comfy cause I'm here all night."

He grins when I laugh. I wake up in the morning to him still sleeping, our legs now tangled together as well. My door opens and in walks Charlie. "Bells made breakfast before she left, it's probably cold now but when he's up, you should get some." He says, nodding toward Embry. "I'll probably wake him up soon," I say, trying to sit up but Embry holds tighter. "No." He mumbles. "Well, I'll see you later," Charlie says, starting to walk out. "Work?" I ask. He nods. Once the door closes I turn to Embry, shaking his shoulder. "Let me up, I'm hungry." His eyes open and he immediately sits up.