fourteen

I stand at the party, dancing with some guy I don't know, but he snuck in alcohol and I wanted some so I figured why not. His free hand sits on my hip, the other holding his cup. I take a drink before a blonde guy I've never met before takes it from me. "How would your sister feel knowing you, a sophomore, are drinking and dancing with a guy who just graduated?" "What's it to you?" I slur, I've had plenty to drink, and by that I mean I have no clue how much I've had, all I know is that it was enough to get the room to spin. "I'm Jasper, Alice's boyfriend, come with me."

His voice is gentle as he pulls me away from the guy. "Dude, what the hell?" He hisses. "She's underage." Jasper hisses in return, watching his face fall and his hand immediately drops off my hip. I watch Bella turn, looking at some guys who have walked in. I watch them, Jake, Quil, the last turns around and my heart drops as his eyes lock with mine. Embry. I quickly follow behind the blonde I almost lost in the crowd of people. "Jasper." I take his hand, he automatically tightens his grip on me when I do. "We'll get you some water, okay?" He leads me up the stairs.

I nod. Alice is starting toward the stairs as we reach the top, I trip on the last step, both quickly catch me. "God, how much did she have?" Jasper asks, his voice worried. "Six full cups." Alice answers. "What was it?" "Strong stuff." She answers again. "I was headed down for her but Carlisle stopped me and I couldn't exactly tell him there was a minor drinking at his party." She says. "We have to tell him. We need a way to sober her up and fast because Bella is not gonna like this. Neither is her boyfriend." Jasper holds me up, his arm tight around me.

"Yeah? He also doesn't like the leeches holding onto her." I hear Embry growl. My heart drops again, but this time so does my stomach. "Bathroom, Jasper. Now." Alice says quickly as I'm whisked away from Embry. I drop myself to the floor as I throw the lid open, heaving up nothing but straight alcohol. Drinking on an empty stomach? Bad idea. Someone rubs my back before it's quickly replaced with a warm hand, Embry. "What were you thinking, Alex?" I wipe my mouth, not looking at him, guilt like a pit in my stomach. "I'm sorry." I whisper.

He straightens up, removing his hand from me. "Listen, I gotta go, don't let this happen again." He growls, as my eyes well up with tears. "Got it?" I nod, sniffling, and quickly wiping my eyes. "Damn it, Alex. What is going on?" He lifts my chin, staring at me. "What did I do wrong?" "What makes you think you did something wrong?" I scoff, pushing his hand away and standing as quickly as I can manage, catching my balance almost immediately. "Jasper." I call and in seconds he's in the doorway. I know what he is and he knows it so he doesn't try to hide it.

"Come on. We gotta go talk to the family anyway." He says, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and leading me away from my boyfriend. I'm sat down on the floor beside Bella's legs as they talk. "They'll be here in four days." "This could turn into a bloodbath." An older blonde says, I've seen him before, I just can't remember his name. "Who's behind it?" Edward asks. "I didn't see anyone I recognized. Maybe one." "I know his face. He's local. Riley Biers. He didn't start this." My stomach churns again but I swallow it down, sighing. "Whoever did is staying out of the action."

"They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision." The blonde says. "Either way, the army is coming and there aren't enough of us to protect the town." Jasper states. "Hold up. What damn army?" Jake questions. "Newborns. Our kind." "What are they after?" Embry asks, continuing to stare at me, I look everywhere but his eyes. "They were passing around Bella's scent. A red blouse." "They're after Bella? What the hell does this mean?" Jake almost growls. "It means an ugly fight. With lives lost." The blonde nods as Jake turns and looks at Quil and Embry who nod.

"All right. We're in." Jake says. I immediately stop listening. I refuse to hear my boyfriend planning out his death. Soon enough I'm being picked up and thrown over someone's shoulder. I groan, mumbling about feeling sick again. "Don't drink and you won't feel sick." Embry scolds. "Screw you." I snap, glaring at his feet as he walks. He sets me in Bella's truck, going to buckle me in when I smack his hands away. "Leave me alone. I've got it." I fumble with it, screwing it up every time. "God, just let me do it, Andria." He growls as my heart speeds up.