01 • Steven

CHAPTER ONE: STEVEN

CHAPTER ONE: STEVEN

-

December had taken over London, and the snow was slowly falling down on the busy streets, covering the trees and roofs, melting on children's tongues like butter. And while outside, the reckless winter breeze swirled the snowflakes through the air, a young woman stood behind the counter, looking through the café's window. The chatting people and the clanking of mugs and forks on plates almost drowned out the faint Christmas music that she'd put on.

Today, she wore a sage green cable knit sweater, her light jeans covered by the black apron she had on. Her brown, wavy hair was hidden in two French braids that lay on her shoulders and moved from one side to the other with every turn her head took. Tonight, it was busier than usual, and almost every table was occupied by people in thick sweaters, the clothing racks next to the door seemed to almost burst under the weight of all the coats, jackets, scarves, and hats.

"Angel, take this to table three, will you?"

Abandoning the coffee machine she'd waited for previously, the brunette whirled around, taking the tray loaded with two plates and two mugs from her boss's hands. The scent of fresh apple pie, hot cocoa, and cinnamon reached her nose, and she smiled kindly at the owner of the café, Adam, who simply nodded at her, indicating he would take care of the coffee in the machine instead.

"Table three, got it!" Angel yelled, the smile not leaving her lips as she left the narrow space behind the counter to weasel her way to the huge window that led to the sidewalk, where table three was located. The café was cozy, not very spacious, filled to the maximum with cozy armchairs and dark wooden tables, most of them round and decorated with a single, white candle in the middle. From the kitchen, the smell of all sorts of pies and cakes flooded the room, accompanied by the scent of coffee, hot chocolate, and cinnamon that got sprinkled on everything but tea around this season.

"Two apple pies and two lattes, here you go," the girl kindly announced the arriving order to the elderly couple who sat at table three, wearing matching Christmas sweaters, sunken deep into the comfortable cushions of the armchairs.

"Thanks, love," the woman smiled, taking her mug to warm her hands.

"Anything else I can do for you today?" Angel asked automatically, letting her gaze drift between the two people in front of her, both having light grey hair and crow's feet framing their kind, soft eyes.

"No, thank you," the woman's husband dismissed the waitress, and Angel twisted the black tray in her hands.

"Alright, enjoy," she said before turning around, squeezing herself past all the chairs and tables to reach the counter again, where Adam prepared hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.

"Angel, there are two cups of coffee over there," he said, nudging his chin in the direction of the mugs, Angel following his movement.

"For where?" she asked while walking past him to reach the tray, and Adam set the bottle of whipped cream down before looking over the room, trying to search for the customers.