09 • Know Me Better

CHAPTER NINE: KNOW ME BETTER

-

There it was. Angel didn't expect to wake up to it. Her eyelids fluttered open, she felt comfortable warmth around her though she knew how cold the room must've gotten overnight, and in the incoming daylight, she saw it.

His smile.

His lips had curled up, his eyes softly looking at her. He had his head turned to her, sunken into the soft pillow, and glared at her affectionately. Angel couldn't believe her eyes. He truly smiled.

"Morning." His morning voice was low and raspy and led some shivers down her spine, and she smiled back at him after a yawn.

"Hey, you," she whispered, inching her body closer to him, placing a kiss on his lips.

"You're smiling," she then commented, nudging her chin in the direction of his mouth. He huffed, closing his eyes as if she'd just busted him in a slightly uncomfortable situation.

"You're just so beautiful," he explained himself, "So effortlessly gorgeous."

Her cheeks flushed with a shade of pink, and she chuckled. Steve clearly knew what to say to her, what it was that had an impact on her instantly. And they didn't even know each other that long.

"Please," she waved it off with the smile not leaving her face. She sat up, stretched her slightly aching limbs, and saw how bright the outside world was, the snow reflecting the light of the sun that was peeking through the white clouds.

"I have to say," she said after another big yawn, turning toward him, sitting cross-legged on the soft mattress, "I do feel like I know you better now."

Sadly, the smile had left his face by now, but the amused expression still lay in his eyes. Those bright blue eyes with the little hint of green around the pupils studied her face as if he'd never seen her in daylight before.

"Not exactly what I had planned," he admitted, wiping his tired face with one large hand, "But I wouldn't want to complain."

"How about breakfast?" Angel hopped out of bed, instantly turning on the heater, and snatched her sweatpants off the armchair in the corner. Steve watched her put them on before also getting some thick socks to slide over her bare feet, and stretched his arms out in the air, yawning.

"Sure," he eventually replied and also got out of bed. He put on the clothes he'd had on when he'd arrived yesterday, and then followed her into the kitchen. While Angel boiled some water and got out some mugs, he sat down at the dining table. The brunette recalled the first time a similar situation had taken place. How they'd finally kissed in the hallway.

"I only really have eggs and bread," she admitted, "You can have some jam for the toast if you want. Not very Christmas-like, but..."

"It's fine, really."