14 • Doubts And Apologies

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: DOUBTS AND APOLOGIES

-

If Angel hated one thing, it was being mad at people. Especially people that were important to her. It twisted her guts every time she remembered how she was supposed to stay mad at Steve. The guy who developed from a coincidental acquaintance into someone she yearned to see every single day of her life. There were only a few days until her departure. Until she would be home, see her family, and celebrate Christmas with them just like they used to. And yet, the excitement got drowned out by worry. All she wanted was to make things right between the two of them. She couldn't bear the fact that she was falling for this guy head over heels, finding herself wanting to know him inside out, every little secret, every little detail about him just like she wanted to give him her everything. But that argument had popped her bubble.

It was true. They were nothing but strangers that felt a weirdly strong connection. Or maybe, Angel feared, it was just her. Maybe he had fooled her to get her to sleep with him... No. The young woman shook her head, earning a few weird looks from pedestrians on the street. She ignored them and let her mind spiral further and further down into a mix of doubts and optimism that alternated, almost fought for dominance in her head. Steve wouldn't pretend to be so comfortable around her if he didn't truly feel this way. He came to her apartment when he was down to get comfort. To be fair, she was the only person in town he knew.

Was she, Angel Fields, the comfort former national hero Steve Rogers needed to feel at ease?

He had called her my Angel. My Angel.

By the time she reached Adam's café, she had decided to try and not think about this any further. Because worrying didn't benefit her waiting skills. She shoved the doubts all the way back in her brain, eager not to let them spoil her mood. All Adam and his customers knew was the ever-smiling, young brunette with the kind, soft voice that served coffee and pies in record times. And that's all she wanted to be today, too. The last thing she wanted to think about was Steve.

Which turned out to be more difficult than she'd wanted it to be. Just like last time she tried to not think about him, the dark blond man didn't seem to leave her mind.

"Table four, careful, it's hot," Adam warned her as she stormed past him to get the prepared tray. Angel picked it up and whirled around, a forced, giant smile on her face to cover up the fact that her mind was anywhere but here. She caught herself wondering how Steve was doing. Which brought her back to the fact that she should be utterly mad at him right now. He hadn't apologized for what he'd said even though it had been obvious that it had hurt her.

"Table four," she beamed, and Adam arched a brow at her as she rushed to the destined table, serving the cups of hot cocoa and two of the chocolate muffins with extra whipped cream to the two college students who sat there, both on their phones. When she returned to behind the counter, the smile still not faded, he stopped her by holding out his hand.