07 • After Work

CHAPTER SEVEN: AFTER WORK

smut—
-

The snow had begun to fall again, covering everything in a thin, powdery layer of white. Angel glanced at the clock that hung on the wall and calculated once more how much time she would have to wait until closing time.

A few minutes after seven, the last customer eventually left the café, and Adam and Angel stood alone behind the counter, relieved at the long-awaited end of the day. Her boss got rid of his apron, handed the young woman the cloth to wipe the black countertop and the now empty tables with, and proceeded to clean the coffee machine. Angel muttered some comments, not even sure what exactly she was saying, and began her last task of the day, her stomach tingling in anticipation.

"Tomorrow is my free day," Angel reminded her boss to distract herself from her thoughts, "So you'll be by yourself then."

"I think— I think I can handle that," he scoffed, his voice sarcastic and with the thick British accent he always had. The brunette rolled her eyes playfully, chuckling to herself, and walked back behind the counter to wash out the now slightly dirty cloth.

"So, I'll be back on Wednesday," she concluded and untied the bow of her apron to hang it onto its destined hanger. Adam nodded, sighed something under his breath, and walked into the kitchen to get the broom. Angel followed him, eager to get her coat and scarf from the closet.

"See you on Wednesday, Angel," he muttered, already caught up in his thoughts as he picked up the broom from the corner where it always waited for its use.

"Bye, Adam," she grinned, and with her coat unbuttoned in the front and the scarf hanging closely around her neck, she picked up her bag and left. She quickly turned the sign on the thick glass door to "CLOSED" and then opened the door to step outside into the bitter cold. A stiff breeze tousled her hair and she quickly wrapped her scarf around her neck and put on her bag correctly.

The walk home seemed to go by quicker than usual, Angel found herself almost jogging, her heart pounding against her chest, her guts tingling in anticipation. She walked past blinking Christmas decorations, a few people rushing down the street with various bags in hand, but her determination overtook her stride.

When she arrived home, she quickly changed into her favorite sweater, a light grey sweatshirt that was a bit too large on her, only to ask herself if she looked too casual now. When a few minutes later, the doorbell rang, she got ripped out of her doubting thoughts. She buzzed the visitor in. Outside, it was completely dark by now, only the gloomy light from the street lights coming in the apartment. She waited a few moments until she saw him coming up the stairs. When his gaze met hers just as he climbed the last few steps, a shiver crawled over her skin.

"How was work?" he asked instead of a proper greeting, and Angel chuckled at the question, knowing very well that this wasn't what either of them had in mind.