Chapter 13

"Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself first," Akio says to Izuku. Aizawa Sensei had pulled him from his personal training area just minutes ago to work with Izuku. "Aizawa Sensei said you're eleven earlier, so you're the same age as my otouto, Denki."

The name is slightly familiar to Izuku, but he can't remember from where. He'll have to ask Kacchan later if he recognizes it. Hopefully, it's not the name of anyone who used to tease Kacchan for being transgender.

"W-well, I want to be a hero, like Shouta and Mic," Izuku tells Akio, deciding that he doesn't want to mention being quirkless. "I-i really want to be like All Might, though. I want to be the kind of hero who saves people with a smile."

Akio smiles at Izuku's enthusiasm. He definitely has a lot in common with Denki. He hopes that when Denki gets to UA, he'll get to be in the same class as Izuku. They'd make great friends. "This kind of training will be helpful, then. You'll get to test your abilities against all kinds of quirks here."

Izuku jumps in excitement at the mention of quirks. "How exactly does your quirk work? Does it have any physical drawbacks for you? I remember from the Sports Festival that electric cables seem to extend from your hands. Can I see?"

Yep, ADHD, just like Denki, but Izuku has a fixation on quirks while Denki is obsessed with music. Akio wonders what the green haired boy's quirk is, but he decides not to ask. He's still young, while having a Pro Hero as guardians will help prepare him for UA, he doesn't need to really focus on quirk training right now.

"How about we spar quirkless, and if you can get three hits to my body, I'll tell you about my quirk. If you manage six, I'll see if Aizawa Sensei will let me introduce you to Denki after the camp."

Izuku's eyes light up at the mention of learning more about Akio's quirk, and Shouta can't help but chuckle at the fact his three hit prize was more exciting to him than the six hit prize. Izuku's curiosity about quirks must stem from his lack thereof. He knew Akio would be the best one to choose first. Kaminari understands giving incentive for the kid to give it his all having a little brother about the same age.

Shouta watches as Kaminari and Izuku stand ready to fight. Izuku's form is way off, but he did only learn it that day, so it's to be understood. Kaminari steps closer to Izuku to show him what he's doing wrong before stepping back to begin. The older boy just stands there, waiting for Izuku to start. Knowing his style, Shouta fully expects Akio to just stand there and block. That would be typical of the boy when faced with a weaker opponent, something that Shouta needs to talk to him about. When it comes to villains, he can't show that kind of restraint, so he can't show it with his classmates either.

Izuku is confused. They're supposed to be sparring, but the boy in front of him is just standing there in a defensive stance. Shouldn't the more experienced one start off? After about a minute of contemplation, he decides to just go for it, starting with a right hook, just like Kacchan. Akio blocks the obvious hit easily, so Izuku tries it again, only to change tactics at the last second to go in with his left. The older boy thwarts him easily again, but that doesn’t discourage Izuku. He really wants to learn more about the blonde's quirk, and the only way to do that is to manage to strike Akio three times. He tries over and over for a half an hour before collapsing to the ground, exhausted. The furthest past the older boy's guard that he could get that entire half hour was one minor graze of Akio's shoulder.

"Take a breather, kid," Akio tells him, holding out a water bottle. "You only just learned how to fight today." He grins at Izuku. "You got me once. That's more than I expected."

Izuku looks up at the older boy. "But, I wanted to know more about your quirk. I want to know more about all your quirks."

Akio holds out his right hand for Izuku to inspect. Everything about his hand seems completely normal except the index finger, there are ridges along the surface, like the ones on an extendable antenna. As Izuku watches, the boy's finger slowly extends out to touch Izuku's hand. Something at the end of his finger grips into the skin of Izuku's palm, and he feels a slight zap.

"That's basically it." Akio shrugs, his finger returning to its normal state. "Nothing really complex about it."

Izuku's mind instantly runs through thousands of scenarios of possible fights with the older boy using his quirk. He wonders if the finger is more flexible than the other fingers, if it's the same finger on both hands, if there are even any bones in that finger, and if so, what those bones would look like. Instead of all the answers he wanted, he's left with more and more questions. So many questions that he doesn't notice them start to exit his mouth in a rapid mumble.

Akio simply shakes his head at the boy's rambling, and helps him stand up to walk over to Aizawa. The whole time, Izuku is still mumbling on without pause, not even when he's gently pushed into a seated position on the log that Aizawa has been using as a bench. Teacher and student exchange a few words before Akio leaves to resume his training.

Shouta rouses Izuku from his musings to make him relax for a while. That relaxation only lasts twenty minutes before Izuku insists on continuing with the next person. He wants to get stronger, he needs to get stronger. There's no other way for him to become strong enough to become the first quirkless hero. Another ten minutes of discussion go by before Shouta gives up and heads off to find one of the Hidaka twins.

Over the course of the rest of the day, Izuku somehow manages to train with half of the assembled students leaving Ajisai, Ishikawa, Gushiken, Takami, and Aoki for the next day.

That night, after the students make dinner for themselves, and Izuku insists on eating with them, everyone relaxes in the hot springs. Since Izuku insists on sitting in there with the students, Mic has to accompany him. Shouta will only go to private hot springs himself, or get in when the only other person is Mic.

Poor Daisuke can only put his feet in the water out of the risk that he would end up causing all of the water to flood out, but he doesn't seem to mind, so long as he gets to spend time with his classmates.

From his spot near the fence between the boy's side and the girl's side, Izuku can hear a lot of commotion from the girls. It almost sounds like one of them is creeping the other girls out, and is on the verge of being kicked out of the hot springs. Since he doesn't know them well, he can't really tell who's voices are saying what, but he feels bad for everyone over there being bothered by the pervy girl.

The next day brings Izuku insisting on getting a chance to work with the rest of the students. All of his sparring matches pretty much mirror one another, the students stay on defensive to give him a chance to practice punches without having to defend at the same time. Shouta is glad to see that they all have basically the same thought and hopes that the trend continues. When it comes to Gushiken, though, there isn't really much that can be done, so the boy gives him tips based off of what he could see of the other sparring matches. At his height, it's kind of hard for him to not have noticed what was going on.

Even though Izuku wants to get to all five of the other students, Shouta puts his foot down that Ajisai will be Izuku's last opponent for the day. He wants a chance to discuss the rules with Ishikawa before moving on to him. If he can't accept the rules, then Izuku is just going to have to be disappointed because he will not let the older boy hurt his son.

With Ajisai, it's a matter of her defending while trying to keep from accidentally touching his skin. She doesn't want to accidentally read his mind, even if it would be beneficial during a fight. It's not a real fight, just Izuku getting a chance to try learning how to fight. She often fails in her attempts, though, and gets glimpses of the boy's thought process. It impresses her how he can focus so hard on what he's doing while simultaneously analyzing her quirk and how it would help her in an actual battle. Some of his thoughts on her quirk are things she hasn't even thought of, and she mentally files those observations away for later. She also, unfortunately, sees why he's so hyper focused on quirks. The poor boy doesn't have one himself. Of course, she would never tell anyone his secret. That's his secret to tell, not hers.

Izuku complains when his match with Ajisai ends. He wants to get to see what Ishikawa is like. Everyone seems wary of him, but Izuku is sure that he's not that bad. He probably just puts up front to protect himself, like Kacchan does. If Izuku could survive years of friendship with the explosive blonde, he's sure a short sparring match with the green haired boy will be fine, so fine, in fact, that after Shouta walks off to make his rounds giving advice to his students, Izuku decides to seek out Ishikawa to find out exactly what he's like.