Chapter 18- Jack Of Hearts

"Dream?"
"Tommy?"
They stared at each other in the darkness, both equally confused.
"What are you doing here?" Dream asked at the same time as Tommy, who asked, "Why are you here?"
They froze for a second, taken aback by each others' interruptions.
Suddenly, the sound of leaves crackling alerted them to someone coming, the person being unmistakably Niki.

"Why are you here, bitch?" Tommy asked, a little pissed, perhaps because of his drowsiness.
Dream frowned. "I'm just travelling. Why are YOU here? You're supposed to be at your mansion, doing... vampire stuff."
Tommy snorted. "VAMPIRE STUFF? Seriously? And no, not now that Techno, Wilbur and Quackity have been kidnapped by this guy i forgot the name of. He knows you, apparently."
Dream's interest was piqued. "Hm? Who?"
"Oh, what was his name again?" Tommy asked himself as Phil stirred, his eyes opening slowly and his expression quickly turning into disbelief.
"Tommy, why're you so fucking loud-"
"Hey, Phil, you're up. Dream's here. What was the name of the guy that kidnapped the others?"
"Hm?" Phil said. "Oh, Jack, wasn't it? Not really the most forgettable of names, but you're still the boy who was extremely surprised when I had wings, although I'd said my ability was flight a ton of times and my nickname was the fucking Eagle, so I'm not expecting much from you."
Dream froze. "JACK? Did you say... Jack?"
"Yeh," Phil replied. "He wanted to fight you, or something. So he's captured Wilbur, Techno and Quackity and won't let them go until you go fight. That's why we were so close to your location- Toms found your compass and tracked you, the clever little shit."
"Hey!" Tommy said, although he was still smiling.
"Anyway, so apparently Tom can fly now. So that's new. Any news with you?" Phil asked Dream, rubbing his eyes in exhaustion.
"Not much," said Dream. "We've just been going round and burning shit down with Niki's ability, and also I found my ability. Yours is flight, right? Cuz everyone at the HQ was scared of you and your nickname is The Eagle, so...?"
"Yeh. That's why I'm so tired, actually, I flew all the way here with Toms on my back, and wings tire you super easily, hah," Phil replied. "Also, what's your ability?"
"You'll see," said Dream, smirking. "Watch this."
He focused his eyes on a twig for a minute, looking very serious, and suddenly it rose seven feet in the air, seemingly by itself, and promptly snapped cleanly in two.

Phil and Tommy were stunned, while Niki in the background looked unimpressed.
"He's done this loads of times, just to remind me that he can," she said annoyedly.
"How the FUCK did you do that?" exclaimed Tommy, throwing his hands in the air in annoyance.
Dream smirked again. "I'm just built different."
Tommy rolled his eyes.
"Anyway, I'm hungry. I wanna go get some food," he said.
"Not right now, Tommy," Phil interjected, "if you're that hungry, I can go, alright?"
"But Phiiiiiil..."
"No buts. Either I go or no food, alright? Which one would you prefer?"
"Ugh... Alright, you go..." Tommy said grudgingly.
Phil smiled. "Alright, I'll be back in an hour or so. Behave."
"Ugh, okay Dad," Tommy said, mocking Phil's tone of voice. Phil set off with a "Bye" to Dream and Niki and a nod to the both of them, then started to trek through the forest.
When the last noises of twigs snapping and leaves crunching had left his ears, Tommy turned to Dream.
"So. What do we do after Phil comes back?" he asked Dream.
"What do you mean?"
"Y'know... do we just eat, have a chat, do whatever Jack wants you to do and then fuck off from each other?"
"Oh. Good question. I'm not sure- what does Jack even want from me?" Dream asked.
"Uhh, probably a fight, the letter sounded angry. He's kidnapped Wilbur, Quackity and Techno in this little town place and won't let them go unless you come to the town place. Without glasses, apparently," Tom informed the strawberry blonde man.
"Oh. Do I get the choice?"
"No."
"Oh."
Dream thought for a moment. "What's in it for me?"
"Uhh... Techno's gonna be in debt to you? That's something to hold over his head for sure," Tommy answered him, smirking at the thought of the Technoblade, the man who had killed possibly thousands, the one who was hundreds of years old and had never lost a proper fight, being in debt to a man who hadn't even been a vampire for a full year, liked to paint smile faces everywhere and only wore green hoodies. It was pretty funny.