Chapter 26- Enemies Or Friends?

A/N: For some reason Chapter 27 decided to delete itself so I've had to reupload it to where Chapter 29 should be! When you finish this chapter, please select it rather than simply scrolling. Sorry!

"Niki?"
"Jack, get out, they're coming for you! If they know you're here, they'll hurt you in ways you can't even imagine." Niki's voice was hoarse and hurried- a quick whisper that could barely be heard.
"What-?"
Jack was surprised- he thought that Niki was there to hurt him, kidnap him, torture him even. He had, to be fair, murdered her, dumped her body in a corner and then beat up one of her friends after she'd woken up as a vampire.
"Why aren't you hurting me, Niki? I mean- you do have reason to, it's not like I want you to, I'm just surprised, that's all-"
"I can't stay mad at you, Jack," she said, smiling a little. "One action, no matter how damaging or life changing it is, is just an action and I firmly believe that everyone deserves a second chance. We've been friends for years now. I don't think one action would be enough to break it off." She finished this statement with a weak yet genuine smile at him.
"B-but I ruined your life! I turned you into a vampire! I don't know if that's really forgivable..." Jack wasn't exactly sure why he was protesting against himself being forgiven, but he was anyway.
"I prefer this anyway. The killing people part isn't exactly desirable but I can deal with it, but like... Being immortal? Hello?" Niki chuckled.
Feeling a little relieved, Jack said, "Yeah... Are you sure though? Like really sure?"
"Of course, Jack. It's alright."
Jack didn't know what to say, so he just smiled.
"Anyway, what were you even looking in the drawers for?" she asked curiously.
"Oh, I'm- uh..."
He sighed and decided to tell her the truth.

"I'm looking for ways to track Dream."
Niki seemed surprised.
"I thought you'd gotten over that-?" she asked.
"No. My one and only goal is to torment, torture and traumatise Dream. I don't mind anything else that happens. I just want to do those three things to him. I'm still not over him ruining my fucking life like that." Jack seemed confident in his decision, and Niki wasn't about to challenge him.
"Uhm. Alright, listen... you have to get out! They're going to check up on me any second now and find you and I honestly don't know what they're gonna do to you when they do."
"Niki, I'm fine. I can just make them faint if needs be. That's all."
"I might have to come with you, Jack, you're not alright out there on your own."
"Hey!" Jack said indignantly. "I can survive just fine out there!"
"No," Niki said softly, "you wouldn't be able to do anything if it wasn't for your lucky ability. If they don't look into your eyes, what are you going to do?"
That did pose an interesting question.
What would he do?

———————————————————————
Meanwhile
Dream was trekking through yet another forest. He'd been travelling for weeks now, stopping off at nearby villages and staying in residents' houses for a few nights, usually without their consent.
Corpses can't consent.
He had been roaming around without any particular purpose or goal other than to find a house or an appropriate place to stay. It would need to be near a lot of people in order for him to feed but other than that Dream didn't have any particularly high standards.
Now he was trudging through a pine forest, trying to ignore the feeling that he had been there before and regretting his decision to leave Tommy and the others. He hadn't spoken to another person for weeks on end and was starting to get lonelier by the minute, imagining conversations in his head and holding twigs or leaves in his hand and pretending that they were another person's hand. One time he'd killed, ate and then wept over the body, clutching it tightly, over how lonely and touch starved he was. Nobody even knew what he looked like any more as he'd been wearing the smile mask as a reminder that someone (Tommy) still cared about him and that he had friends.
A branch cracked.
Dream's head whipped around so fast he cricked his neck. A person! Food!
He cautiously peered around the tree and saw the back of someone's head. Launching himself at the man, it was only until he'd placed both cold hands around his neck that he realised how familiar this person was.
Dream turned himself to stare into the other person's eyes.
Then it clicked.