Chapter 8: Koolasuchus

This is (Y/N) (L/N). He/She is a (G) with a dream: a dream to show the world what it was like, once upon a time. Using special technology, he/she plans to go back in time to save some of the most spectacular animals that ever existed. So far, he/she's done a great job, even saving some animals the park didn't even think of. But (Y/N) feels there is room for one more prehistoric animal. His/Her next stop is Australia, during the Mid Cretaceous.

Roger is busy feeding the giant salamanders of China. (Y/N) had brought these here to see how they would live along side Hynerpeton. They get along just fine, but there are others in another enclosure. These are the largest amphibians in the world. But soon they will have to watch their backs. The last resident of the park to be brought back will be one of the largest amphibians to ever exist.

 The last resident of the park to be brought back will be one of the largest amphibians to ever exist

"Koolasuchus. When the fossils of this animal were first found, they thought it was a crocodile. But some more in depth studies showed it to be a giant amphibian. It is a relic from a time before dinosaurs, from the family called Temnospondyli. It was due to competition from crocodiles that drove it's relatives to extinction. They survived in the southern region of Australia, which was much closer to the antarctic circle, and even a part of the continent too. So, the waters got too cold for crocs, and they survived for millions of years."

The portal is set, and they set off. 

Here, in the time of the dinosaurs, Antarctica was much closer to the equator, and was the only place with season we have today

Here, in the time of the dinosaurs, Antarctica was much closer to the equator, and was the only place with season we have today. Endless sun summers, to cold, night filled winters. The animals here have to strong to survive. One of the most common animals around here, are Leaellynasaura.

 One of the most common animals around here, are Leaellynasaura

It is a herbivore, with many good senses, and very social. They spend their time here, year round, and they migrate from during the summer, and head to the center of the continent, where it doesn't freeze often. And of course there are the predators. Here, the top predator is Allosaurus Robustus, also known as Australovenator. 

These carnivores are relatives of the Jurassic predator, Allosaurus Fragilis

These carnivores are relatives of the Jurassic predator, Allosaurus Fragilis. Here, down south, they thrive, and will continue to, until the Abelisaurs come.

Here, the summer is warm, and the sun doesn't set, until winter comes. Here, the river is warm, and very good. Soon, from the forage, comes Koolasuchus. They hibernate during the winter, and come out during the summer. Soon, (Y/N) sets up bait, but something has to ruin it. Australovenator comes, and steals the meat. It takes an airhorn to drive the dinosaur off. But not without the bait. Even though they can't bring the animal back right away, this is a good chance to learn how Koolasuchus live.

Back at the park, the Daspletosaurus are chasing pigs, and catching them together. Soon, the next fight breaks out. 

"This is normal behavior. Strongest of the fittest they say," said new comer, Bob, "These animals have been found with bite marks on their skulls, so it seems like they had fought over things like food, and who gets first serve." 

Unknown, there were two tiny Terror Birds following Bob around. The babies hatched a bit ago, and these saw Bob first instead of their mother. Now, they get out, and follow him around often, and see him as their real mother. It often leads to some trouble, and Bob has to lead them back to their mother, who often gets out herself through some of the holes she made with her dust baths, and her babies follow. So, it can get annoying at times.

Back in prehistory, (Y/N) sets up a raft, and follows the Koolasuchus. While the water is clear, it is still murky deep. He/She doesn't even notice the one that's sneaking up from behind. It attacks the raft, and then (Y/N) abandons ship. Soon, the Koolasuchus follows him/her, and onto the beach. There, the team see what is happening, and happen to tranquilize it. But there is still more trouble. The Australovenator has come, and sees the Koolasuchus. The airhorn was brought out again, and scares the predator off, but also wakes up the Koolasuchus. Since it was just tranked, it is very sluggish. The portal is brought up, and they team work together to bring the massive carnivore back with them. It soon drags it's bulk along the way. It heads to the water it sees, very slowly. 

"At this rate, he's gonna dry out. Luckily, we can spray him with water." 

They do that, and it helps the Koolasuchus wake up. Here, some of the Giant Salamanders see the giant amphibian, and go into the water themselves. The Koolasuchus soon settles down, and is fully awake.

Around the park, the other residents are getting used to some other animals that you see on a day to day basis as well. The mammoths and Andrew have been introduced to Bison, and dear, to make it feel like a modern grassland. With the Einiosaurs and Maiasaurs, they are put with some moose, who take a liking to the dinosaurs. 

"I must say," said (Y/N), "This was actually a nice idea Bob." 

"Thank you," said Bob. 

Just then, the two Terror Birds and the mother appear from behind. 

"Oh, not again. Go off! That's your mother!!" 

The babies look at their mother, and Bob, and follow him.

Steve is taking the jeep back, when he finds out he has another stowaway. 

"GAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! BUDDY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE IN ANTARCTICA!!" 

The little baby Leaellynasaura found some of the leaves that they used to lure the Einiosaurs back with them. Steve accidentally crashes the jeep into a tree, startling a Diplodocus. Even just one panicked Diplodocus can cause much damage. It set loose the Megalania, Maiasaurs, Elasmotherium, Einiosaurs, Mastodons, and even the mother T rex. The young are distracted by food, so the mother goes to find food herself.

Just before the park is about to open, the alarms are set, and the staff all set to get the animals back to their paddocks. Soon, the mother gets into the Mammoth enclosure, and separates one of the babies from every member of the herd, except for one! Andrew has been getting used to the mammoths, and has even formed a bit of a bond with them. He stands in front of the infant, and shows his tail. The mother is cautious. (Y/N) then gets her attention, and while it seemed like a good idea at first, he/she soon finds herself in trouble, until the Elasmotherium comes and makes mock lunges to defend itself. Mom soon decides to go back to (Y/N), who leads her into a paddock, where they can tranquilize her, and transport her back to her family.

Soon, everything is back on schedule, and the park is soon opened up. And in our final chapter, we see how the people like the park.